Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
fordman_01
DUB

Default engine mods for new p laws lol

hey all, what other engine mods would i be able to do under the new f@!kin P laws? iv already got pacemakers and a pod filter. i was thinkin of gettin some work done on the cams and maybe "hide" a turbo somehow hahah. cos i want a intercooler so might as well have a turbo to.

what u's think???

Old 24-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Kryton

if you are already affected by the P plate laws, a pod filter and extractors are considered performance enhancing mods anyway.
good luck hiding a Turbo.
Old 24-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

You were going to get a intercooler without the turbo lol

Things I would reccomend:
Exhaust system
cam
flash tune
stall converter
diff gears
Basically stuff that isnt eye catching illegal....
Old 24-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
JoesAu

spot on keep it looking standard nice wheels, do the internal stuff that they wont see lol
Old 24-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
stiddy
Banned

hide a podfilter in the airbox, put the standard heatshield over a set of extractors, if you go the turbo route get a low mount turbo manifold and put the standard heatshield over that and paint your intercooler black. Its not hard to keep things looking standard. No fancy chrome pipe work.
gearbox, diff, headwork, cam, tune will all go un noticed..
Old 24-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
if you are already affected by the P plate laws, a pod filter and extractors are considered performance enhancing mods anyway.
good luck hiding a Turbo.
but i think it is if it needs a mopd plate then its against the new laws but otherwise it should be sweet
Old 24-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Kryton

i think its actually ANY performance enhancing mods. (in Vic anyway, NSW wouldnt be much different if at all).
Old 24-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
You were going to get a intercooler without the turbo lol

Things I would reccomend:
Exhaust system
cam
flash tune
stall converter
diff gears
Basically stuff that isnt eye catching illegal....
haha yeh man, the intercooler would look as on the ts50 front as id take the bottom grille off and it would be fully visible.....sikkkkkkk lol
Old 24-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
hide a podfilter in the airbox, put the standard heatshield over a set of extractors, if you go the turbo route get a low mount turbo manifold and put the standard heatshield over that and paint your intercooler black. Its not hard to keep things looking standard. No fancy chrome pipe work.
gearbox, diff, headwork, cam, tune will all go un noticed..
yeh dont think we need to hide a pod filter in qld if that is what u meant, mines just sittin there
Old 24-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In QLD we are limited by what you could normally do without needing to have it approved by Queensland Transport. So a pod is fine, likewise simple exhaust, etc.

However if you would need to have it approved by QT, or if it needs to be certified by an engineer, then it is deemed illegal.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
Old 24-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Fordman_01 how long do you have until these laws do apply to you?
Old 24-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYS_XR8
Fordman_01 how long do you have until these laws do apply to you?
they all ready apply to me man. i got my red p's last october and i have to be on my p's for 3years. so ill be 20 when i can legally drive turbo or v8 :(
Old 24-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #13
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Before you go the turbo route, be warned.. 10k for a real good setup.

I feel your pain brother!

2 more years til i can legally own a turbo or V8

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
Old 25-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

I agree with stiddy if your set on turbocharging its pretty easy to get a 'not as notciable' set-up going.. But i think with alot of cases its how the person was driving to begin with that get them in the position to be busted lol..

Otherwise go NA, plenty of quick i6's out there that aint using forced induction or an extra 2 cyclinders but hey they are fun to have, spesh both of them :hihi: It depends how much you want or are whiling to spend, check out places like Jim Mock who have packages to get you NA6 pushing BAXR6T power..
Old 25-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you mod your car in a way that is unlawful your an idiot. If you are in a prang, even if you are not at fault you will be fudged. I'm not having a go at you Fordman01, but all the P platers, how long (if you do the right thing) are you restricted from driving "performance" cars anyway? Every bloody P plater winging because they are inexperianced behind the wheel of a car and can't drive this turbo or that V8.
Old 25-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
If you mod your car in a way that is unlawful your an idiot. If you are in a prang, even if you are not at fault you will be fudged. I'm not having a go at you Fordman01, but all the P platers, how long (if you do the right thing) are you restricted from driving "performance" cars anyway? Every bloody P plater winging because they are inexperianced behind the wheel of a car and can't drive this turbo or that V8.
um well if i dont lose my license or anything i will be able to drive a "performance" car in october 2010 lol........yeh a while away
Old 25-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #17
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKIDN
It depends how much you want or are whiling to spend, check out places like Jim Mock who have packages to get you NA6 pushing BAXR6T power..
haha that would be as, how much would that approximately cost??
Old 25-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #18
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could always go for the stroker kit that crescent is it? are doing. they wouldn't notice that and you'd have plenty of torque and ability to go turbo down the track if you wanted to
Old 25-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

below is a list of the performance mods P platers can have

Get the message. This is done because P platers are disproportionately in the road toll statistics. P platers were dying and these laws are there to keep the "bullet proof" young alive. there are many areas where people are restricted until they are skilled up. Would you say it would be reasonable to allow a new pilot to jump into a 747 on his first day solo or should he hone his skills on something smaller first?
A P Plater is actually a learner driver who has been allowed to go solo, they must continue to learn and pass more exams before they are considered to be a full licence holder. This is a point that some don’t get YOU ARE NOT A FULL LICENCE HOLDER, you hold a restricted licence and must comply with the restrictions for the safety of you and the general public
Stop whinging you'll be able to drive a decent car when you grow up. Until then hone your skills on an average car and be ready when you can upgrade it's only 3 years FFS

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 25-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #20
Kryton

exactly.
i also find it rather amusing that people in this thread think cops are stupid as well.
just because a mod is hidden, doesnt mean it isnt obvious.
like i said too about hiding turbos - good luck.
if the cops fail to see it, the insurer wont when it comes time to claim.
then again, i doubt you have insurance either.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

OK everyone, laws are there for reasons.
Some may be a little overzealous in someways I do agree.

Your best bet ... keep your vehicles mechancally stock ... or very close to it.
Make it look nice ... save your money ... and spend it on power mods in 2 years time when there are no restrictions according to your licence. Seeing as L, P1 and P2 are restricted licences ... you have to abide by the restrictions laid down by your state.

Once on your Silver Licence (unrestricted) ... mod your vehicle to your hearts content (within state guidelines though).
Old 25-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

This thread has run it's course.
Closed Thread