Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Damo
Banned

Default Is the 3 speed dead ? Or torque Converter !

Hey guys,

On the way home from work tonight, I went to take off at a set of lights, just normally in Drive, and the car just reved. I though I was in nuetral, so i let the revs drop and it still wouldn't select first. Slammed it down into 1st with a big clunk and it took off. Pulled into a side street and turned the car off.

Started her up a few minutes later, still wouldn't select Drive. : So back down to first, took off slowly and cuatesly went for second, changed up fine, then into drive (3rd) fine again. Anyway, I made it pretty well the whole way home, before slowing down to pull into a street near my house, doin about 5 kmh. I go to accelerate again and nothing! Just revs. Pulled over again and selected 1st gear manually and it was fine again, changed up gears etc.

Got home pulled into the driveway and again nothing, had manauly select 1st again.

I have been giving the auto hell for while now, and there has been a few accidental neutral to drive shifts, with a bang, but nothing like this. Also the gears don't slip or anything, the car operates normally, just had to selct the gears myself. I'm not too worried about it, just gives me an excuse to finally put the manual in! :drive: So what have I stuffed ?

I hope it makes it to work and back tommorow. :

Damian :nutsycuck
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

i thought 3 speeds were meant to be tuff!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Damo
Banned

they are! :P mine has done 400,000 k's and hasn't been serviced in 3 years. Oh and I never check the fluid in it. :P
Old 19-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
galapogos01
eec tweaker

i bet its out of fluid.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Damo
Banned

lol. maybe, too late to check it now. I think you gotta do it as soon as you stop the car. I don't think thats it though, as it drove fine selecting the gears manualy.
Old 19-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
John_LS1

yeah probably just fluid but wheres the fun in that? you got the manual there...put it in!!! if i had all the bits i would have converted it ASAP.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
InitialD
Low and Loud

Low on fluid OR and there is the ROUGH chance it has done what my 3 speeder did...

Randomly went into Drive and cooked itself because it was flogged

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
Damo
Banned

put fluid in!

It's definately broken!

tea fiveeeage begins tommorrow! Anyone wanna help!
Old 19-05-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
ChAmP-EAgHiA
ProuD EA OwneR

when i got my car the tourqe converter was stuffed wouldnt take off hardly at all until bout 2500 RPM then it would really take off
Lowered by king springs (SL)
Stereo by pioneer,fusion and kenwood
Brock Falcon Bodykit thanx to chad :sm_headba
velour interior:
full body respray
(BLUE MIST)
ChAmP-EAgHiA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
John_LS1

ill watch :P id help but i dont know what to do...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:10 AM   #11
Damo
Banned

well, i'm gunna try get the 3 speed off or atleast unbolted tommorrow after work, then the fun begins saturday! PM me if anyone wants to come, or watch/help etc..
Old 20-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #12
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

prob just fluid but good excuse for the conversion. I doubt you would have killed it, those things are tough.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #13
Damo
Banned

nah, it has fluid, well some, plus i put some more in before and no difference. I don't think i've killed it, well not completely, but it just won't do anything in drive, except make a whiring type noise...
Old 20-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #14
Psycho Chicken
Banned

haha that's how the 3 speed in my XE Ghia works. Won't select drive, gotta put it into first and manually shift. It'll kickdown from 3rd into 2nd and change back up but that's about it. The guy I got it off said he was mucking around one night, revved the hell out of it, dropped it into drive and it just went bang. Hasn't worked ever since.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #15
Danny
GT4.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA WHat a ****er, I was ****in em after that comment!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #16
Damo
Banned

well, didn't get anything down today except put the car up on stands. Then i thought stuff this. A forum member has offered to do the conversion for $$, i'm thinking that might be the way to go. Need to talk to my mechanic.. er Sundeep. :P

Rob, yeah that's exactly like mine, i put the car in drive @ 4k, bang, not deliberately! This was in my driveway, though the auto didn't decide to f00k up till last night.

Ahh well. I'll let ya's know how I get on.