Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Question BA XR6T or AUIII XR8?

Hi guys,

Looking at buying another work car for myself and I am truly in a stuck position. I can not decide between te above 2 mentioned cars.

A bit of back round.

Either needs to be;
a sedan
Auto
Occationally used for towing my project car to and from particular events
Presentable

Your thoughts?

For me personally, both cars appeal to me for the exterior, the series III AU interiors I find a little more carefully made and detailed so for that reason I perfer the interiors of AUs. Either car will be left bog stock as I want it to be a presentable car when Im going for off site meetings with fellow managers and I have my project car to play with not this one.

Old 26-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Default Re: BA XR6T or AUIII XR8?

Definetly the AU111 XR8,awesome machine that will serve your purpose better than the XR6T.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Definetly the AU111 XR8,awesome machine that will serve your purpose better than the XR6T.

I believe for the purposes for towing it would serve me well but I guess the look of a slightly more Modern Falcon is also appealing
Old 26-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Buy both lol.

Thats going to make the choice hard for you.IMO,a 111XR8 is as good a looking as a "stock" BA XR6T.

I drive a BA XR6T myself.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

What do ya prefer? V8's or turbo.
The turbo is gunna be way faster but sound like crap compared to the 8.
Outside styling wise, the b series has an edge for contemporary looks, the AU is a bit edgier looks wise, but in XR form the AU looks pretty darn cool and way more unique than the generic b series xr's..
Trim/inside the car, as you said is way better IMHO also on the AU, and most know driving dynamics wise, the AU smokes the b series in all areas bar outright power an grunt, an thats not the be all or end all either..

For a nice dual purpose car like your describing the AU wins hands down in my book.

Last edited by geckoGT; 26-09-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Referring to turbos as "ricers" is argumentative, let's not go there
Old 26-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Well im my OP in mention III because I find the kits + rims on them to be very aggressive. More so then the BAs but the BAs have there own great appeals.
Hahahahhaa!

Like i said Im between a rock and a hard place. I think Im slightly leaning more towards the AU but every picture I see or review I read it sways back and forth.

Also FYI, I have driven both cars a number of times and Im still in this deadlock
Old 26-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

What would you be more likely to mod Jase?...
Old 26-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

What about an XR8 BA?
Old 26-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Great looking thing but just a tad out of the price range Im looking at for the work horse.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
What would you be more likely to mod Jase?...
Honestly the XR6T would be such a temptation to mod and Id be fighting myself not too. Lol
Old 26-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Well there's your answer.... Get an AU3 XR8....!
Old 26-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
FPT
earth flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Honestly the XR6T would be such a temptation to mod and Id be fighting myself not too. Lol
Get the AU, all the go-fast bits from your project will be interchangeable, if that's worth a thought.

Are you eyeing any particular BA turbo example? I personally haven't looked for them but wouldn't you struggle to find an unmolested example?
Old 26-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
CANFRY
Ba xr6

Personally id never buy an AU ugliest Ford made IMHO
Old 26-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #14
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu.14.nd
Personally id never buy an AU ugliest Ford made IMHO
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't buy a BA with how poor the interior is and the 5.4 is a problem in them. And how the XT looks like a XR6 atleast the XR's in the AU look different from the base model
Old 26-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

If this continues as a AU vs BA or V8 vs 6T slanging match I will close the thread and hand out warnings for "being argumentative"

You have all been warned.
Old 26-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive them both and see if your not modding than personally it would be XR8 for me any day of the week
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 26-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i take it the EL is the project.??.. i'd be looking at how much does an EL + trailer weigh.... and the towing capacity of your choices......
Old 26-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think in terms of reliability go the AU, as mentioned it will sound better and i think regarding towing, it will be better too.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 26-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Both cars will be illegal to tow with.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are some nice low km AU XR8 for sale and black and silver look alright...

Either way u go i suggest u get a LPG kit installed i can help u there as per usuall :-)
Old 26-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
How do you figure that?
Old 26-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
IDT
Marko

Go the the AU111. Oh how i miss mine
Old 26-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The AU (series) is a very well sorted car mechanically. I think the interior fit and finish is head and shoulders above the B-Series (it does show it's 90s roots though) The XRs are a razor sharp drive but have a bit of 'mongrel' about them; they can crash and bash over rough roads. The sound and torque of the Windsor make for a great cruiser.

The BA has a more modern interior, and even in XR form offers a plush ride. Plus there are thousands of BA XRs out there, so its very much a buyer's market for second hand B-Series. A well priced, clean example shouldn't be too hard to find. The 6T goes hard as well.

I love the look of AU XRs, but admit that the B-Series has a more 'grown up' look. An AU XR might look too 'boy racer' in the parking lot next to the other manager's cars.

In case I offend any AU fans, let me make it clear that I love my XR8 to death and will be keeping it *forever* but I can also be grown up and accept the pros and cons of each car.

Either way you'll end up with a nice ride so maybe drive them back to back and...follow your heart. ;)

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 26-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 26-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The world is also flat?

au xr8 3 FTW. -grunty muscle/down low torque great for towing.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
RAPID_BA
Banned

I would go the ba xr6t. They produce more torque for towing and the ba looks more expensive and modern than the old au. Get the best condition lowest km car you can afford in any event.

Let's not kid ourselves you WILL mod it, maybe not now but eventually and the xr6t offers so much more in this regard.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how about an AU 5ltr Fairlane???
cheaper than an XR and way nicer inside...
plus i think they can tow more cant they??
Old 26-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #27
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
The AU (series) is a very well sorted car mechanically. I think the interior fit and finish is head and shoulders above the B-Series (it does show it's 90s roots though) The XRs are a razor sharp drive but have a bit of 'mongrel' about them; they can crash and bash over rough roads. The sound and torque of the Windsor make for a great cruiser.

The BA has a more modern interior, and even in XR form offers a plush ride. Plus there are thousands of BA XRs out there, so its very much a buyer's market for second hand B-Series. A well priced, clean example shouldn't be too hard to find. The 6T goes hard as well.

I love the look of AU XRs, but admit that the B-Series has a more 'grown up' look. An AU XR might look too 'boy racer' in the parking lot next to the other manager's cars.

In case I offend any AU fans, let me make it clear that I love my XR8 to death and will be keeping it *forever* but I can also be grown up and accept the pros and cons of each car.

Either way you'll end up with a nice ride so maybe drive them back to back and...follow your heart. ;)
Pretty much spot on imo. I too will never sell the AU XR8 I've had forever. Over 200k on the clock and still the interior is immaculate, except the need for a new roof liner which I think is the only common issue for the AU in regards to interior quality. New LSD last month and it is still a great daily driver. I have the 5 speed, so the auto may not be as 'fun'.

Having said all that, the AU does look a little more hoony than the BA with the latter's more conservative styling. Too bad the fit and finish inside doesn't fare too well (based on the SY Territory Ghia we used to have). That was one thing that really got to me.

Old 26-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have`nt done any towing with a b series, but the au i have, even with the vct6 it`s a good tow vehicle with a better irs imo.
Old 26-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #29
blk6t

You know if you asked this question 8 years ago, the majority of members would probably say the BA XR6T as it was new and what appeared to be a major leap forwards for the Falcon over the AU.

Now it appears to be very even, if not more members saying the AU.

If it were me, I would only get a BA if it had the luxury interior, was in near perfect condition, well looked after, not modded and with a single mature owner....otherwise forget it and go the AU. Its getting very hard to find a clean BA that hasn't been modded or hooned...however I think people who own the AU3 XR8 are more enthusiasts from the Tickfored era which means you may find cleaner more well looked after cars.
Old 26-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lightbulb Re: BA XR6T or AUIII XR8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
How do you figure that?
Rules differ from state to state.They are blury but this is where the common sense comes into play.

An AU/BA being pushed by 2.5T or more is not smart.Good luck pulling up in any iota of a hurry.Can think of a few situations that may cause easy collisions,alot are just lucky whom dont come across these situations.

To the flog who said the world is flat,well so is ya ***
Closed Thread