Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Flushing the System

Hey,

I want to do a proper flushing of the system in my AU but am not 100%.

I never flushed the laser I just dropped the fluid out and topped it up again but i want to look after the Mont properly.

I understand most of it but there is a few things I'm not completely up on.

It says I disconnect the heater hose and put the garden hose in but it looks like a complete bastard to get to and which way do I pump water towards the firewall or towards the engine and is it possible to get the two hoses mixed up and what are the consequences? (i thought upgrading from a Jap car to a Aussie car would mean more space in the engine bay making servicing easier guess i was wrong).

Some sources say i should then run the engine while tipping water into the overfill and letting it come out the drainage plug is this correct?

Do you fill the radiator up through the overfill? Will it fill up the radiator and system from there?

It would be appreciated if somebody could guide me through the steps it would be annoying if i fruked up.

Cheers,

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
redef

drop the bottom radiator hose and a heater hose at the fire wall stick the hose in both ends cant hurt anything should be fine from there. run the car if you want just be careful.
flush till water comes out clean. refill at the overflow(surge tank).
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
peterban
AULTD

Don't use too much water pressure through the heater radiator, just turn the water on to a fairly gentle flow.

If you want to flush the system then you really need to take the thermostat out so that you can get water to flow through the block.

If you just want to get rid of the old coolant and replace with new stuff then the easiest way is to remove bottom hose from radiator and drop the coolant then refill with clean water. Drive for 10 mins or until warmed up then drop coolant again. Wait for everything to cooldown and then refill with clean water again. Drive again for 10 mins and then do the same procedure again. If the water you drop out this time is clear you can then fill up with the proper concentration of coolant, otherwise keep doing it until water is clean.

If you are putting the same type of coolant in you really only need to do the above with one lot of clear water.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post