Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New globes for instrument cluster?

Alright, i've put blue cellophane (yes cellophane) behind my cluster for a blue light like the BA/BF cluster and I don't know if the lights are bright enough to make it come out real well.

I've noticed all the au lights have a slight yellow to them, am I able to replace them with brighter/white lights and if so, where can I get them?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, phrased the question wrong. I know you can replace them (obviously) but is there a brighter/whiter globe I can get? Also having the cellophane at the back of the face, will it melt or anything?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
Sorry, phrased the question wrong. I know you can replace them (obviously) but is there a brighter/whiter globe I can get? Also having the cellophane at the back of the face, will it melt or anything?
You should purchase some blue LED's for the fascia and get some red ones for the needles. Remove the cellaphane. I don't know if it will melt with brighter globes.

Theres guys on ebay selling after market fascia's. You could always get a white one and as far as I know, it will light everything up blue.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
You should purchase some blue LED's for the fascia and get some red ones for the needles. Remove the cellaphane. I don't know if it will melt with brighter globes.

Theres guys on ebay selling after market fascia's. You could always get a white one and as far as I know, it will light everything up blue.
no this will not work the way the lighting diffusers are constructed you need the blue filters and RTSW the use of celophane is wrong your lights just won't be bright enough you need blue lighting gels as used for stage lighting (only a few dollars from stage lighting places) . they colour the light without reducing the level of light celophane will cut the light level significantly
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the help, how many blue and red LEDs will I need?

Do you also have any pictures of fascias with the LEDs installed? As I haven't heard much positive results from using them.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Just put in blue led's. Will be better than worrying if the cellophane is going to melt.
It's easy enough to do.
You've got an au1 by your build thread. They have clear needles with a red stripe on top. So all you need to do is sand that red off with 2000 (thats what i used) and you'll be able to see the needles fine

Here's my dash with the needles done as i mentioned. I've got the stanard facsia in

You can see the red more in real life than you can in the pick, however it is still dark/hardish to see
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the help, how many blue and red LEDs will I need?

Do you also have any pictures of fascias with the LEDs installed? As I haven't heard much positive results from using them.
you will get no positive feedback on led lighting in an AU cluster it's just not suited to it they are great in EF/EL but not AU do it with the correct filters and you won't regret it the effect is awesome
Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
you will get no positive feedback on led lighting in an AU cluster it's just not suited to it they are great in EF/EL but not AU do it with the correct filters and you won't regret it the effect is awesome
I'm positive. I'm more than happy with the results. It did take a little bit of playing to get it all sorted with no bright spots, and the red is hard to see, but if you need to look at the dash or it gets the stage where the needle is in the red, then your way past trouble to begin with.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there is no problem with the cellophane, i'll definitely stick with it. It looks 10x better than LEDs with no trouble seeing red. Plus no replacing globes or fixing bright spots etc...

Held up my new fascia to a lamp in my house, I think it looks great and there are lighting problems whatsoever:

Now I know the lights in the car aren't as bright, but since it isn't as dark of a blue as the high beam icon there'll be no problems there either.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

series one maybe but series 2 / 3 have fully red plastic needles not clear with red and there is no way to get these needles visible with blue LED lighting I know i have tried if you want my high brightness LED globes (each light has 3 LEDs) you are welcome to them for $20 + post I have 6 globes and as I said before you don't use celophane it is not up to the job you use blue stage lighting gels they are designed for lighting and handle higher temps than you will ever get in a cluster
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem with lighting gels is they don't last.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had them in my EL for 3 years and they were still as good as new they fade with high intensity lighting like stage lights but in this application no fading
Old 12-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm... The problem is i'd have to cut the lighting gels to shape as well which is a pain and I don't even know where the stuff is or how much it costs. (I live in the country and have no such shops here)

The thing is, there could be absolutely no problems with using cellophane. Of course then again there could.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok ultimatly it's up to you but gels will hold up better and won't need brighter lights they are only a couple of dollars maybe 10 if you need to get it posted one is all you will need
Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up, I definitely might consider it. I'm someone who when I do it the first time wants to get it exactly right.

But with the standard globes in, there would be no problems with the cellophane would there?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I definitely might consider it. I'm someone who when I do it the first time wants to get it exactly right.

But with the standard globes in, there would be no problems with the cellophane would there?
the gel will last longer and give brighter light thats all