Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
lakesideguy

Default Mayor's U-turn on Lakeside

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts cautiously welcomed the announcement by the Pine Rivers Shire Council to invite 7 of the 11 interested parties to submit business proposals for the management and development of Lakeside International Raceway.

Pine Rivers Mayor, Cr Yvonne Chapman, said Council was excited by some of the prospects presented by the interested groups, which encompassed a range of activities including motorised sport, driver training, youth programs, outdoor sport and recreation as well as tourism development.

"The potential for Lakeside is enormous and Council will be looking at options that gain the best outcome economically for the community," she said.

LMRE president Ian Milton observed, "This is a big change in attitude for the mayor, but it doesn't guarantee the return of club-level motor racing to Lakeside just yet."

"We trust this will be a transparent tender process and challenge the Council to include a mechanism for both the ratepayers of the shire and the motorsport community to have input into the future of Lakeside - instead of getting another backroom heritage deal," he said.

Mayor Chapman said, "Council would prefer a consortium of parties to offer an innovative, multi-purpose solution for the restoration of activity at the site."

"This is our chance to once again turn Lakeside into a major drawcard for Pine Rivers - the flow on effects would be significant."

Parties invited to submit business proposals are:
  • Total Driver Pty Ltd
  • RACQ
  • YMCA Brisbane
  • Willowbank Race Circuit Pty Ltd
  • Motorcycling Queensland/Motorcycling Australia
  • Queensland Police Citizens Youth Welfare Association
  • Juniper Development Group

Ian Milton noted, "Even though the list of tender applicants gives us hope, there's still a lot of unanswered questions like, what politically motivated hurdles are they going to have to contend with, what's going to happen in four years when the Heritage Council deal expires and how is the Council going to compensate us for denying access to our sporting facilities for all these years?"

Council said it was hopeful of having an arrangement in place by September.

lakesideguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Thanks for the info

Lets Hope we can just get on the circuit and have some fun
The northside needs this facility to be available to enthusiasts
I wonder what condition the track is in??
Old 06-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
EF, What else?
A Bloke

That would be right, just when I move away from the area!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Dodge
i like to be stroked

it was about to be another golf coarse?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
blue fairy
I've become, impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I wonder what condition the track is in??
Sadly the track is in a terrible state.
Terrible doesn't even come close. I live not even 3 mins from it and occasionally drive down that way....
It is very sad to see. I have such fond childhood memories of Lakeside.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I can only hope that the council comes to a conclusion that involes the resurrection the track...
Old 07-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Maybe all the people who signed the petitions made the mayor aware of what they were actually contemplating. Its good to see.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
lakesideguy

Thanks for the support guys!

While blue fairy's observations about Lakeside's operating facilities are correct due to the Council's lack of maintenance and security (vandalism), I can assure you that the racing surface and guard rails, etc are in good order due to regular care by the previous owner. Most damage is cosmetic.

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts has had qualified people inspect the track a couple times of the past few years and even the bike guys say that they would race on it tomorrow.

Scott Clark
LMRE
lakesideguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesideguy
Thanks for the support guys!

While blue fairy's observations about Lakeside's operating facilities are correct due to the Council's lack of maintenance and security (vandalism), I can assure you that the racing surface and guard rails, etc are in good order due to regular care by the previous owner. Most damage is cosmetic.

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts has had qualified people inspect the track a couple times of the past few years and even the bike guys say that they would race on it tomorrow.

Scott Clark
LMRE
I would race on it tonight if you can get the keys for the gate LOL
Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I would race on it tonight if you can get the keys for the gate LOL
cough *boltcutters* cough
Old 07-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Hope lakeside survives i have watched a few older races and it was/is one of australia's more challenging circuits, i would love to race arond there one day so i hope at the least it gets back to club leval racing.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #12
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Thumbs up Help us to help you!!

Hi Guys,

It's great to see so many people with positive interests in the future of Lakeside. I remember not that long ago spending nearly every weekend there either watching Club Cars, Bikes, HQ's, Commodores and anyone else game to have a go. It's funny when you realise that the V8 Supercars were there not that long ago (the AU's raced there) and everyone then thought Lakeside was still a viable, character building track.

As a representative of Total Driver Pty Ltd, I can assure you of our best intentions in our submission to the PRSC regarding future management and development of Lakeside.

We encourage emails of support and ideas to help build a better case to present. Contact me at info@totaldriver.com.au

Our company was based until recently at Darlington Park where we held Driver training days, Club Days, Skid Pan Days/Nights, etc however due to THAT tracks closure, we have been using QLD Raceway since.

We look forward to seeing Lakeside restored to its' former glory and to also providing the community and PRSC with a facility they can be all proud of.

Cheers all, wish us luck!
Old 24-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Default D-Day this Friday

Hey all,

Well, it's finally here. Submissions for the Tender for Lakeside have to be into Council by this Friday.

We are still putting in the looong hours, making sure the Tender Document is one fine piece of work.

Our success in the matter would mean big things to the recreational motorsport fraternity in Brisbane and beyond. We surely hope the Council see's our submission as being the best for Lakeside.

We're all going to be buggered for our QR Track Day next Monday! And you never know, I may even get time this weekend to go pick up a certain XA Coupe??

Wish us luck guys, it's make or break time and this is the biggie!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 24-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Simmo
White Lightning

i was glad to see the Total Driver name on one of the tender's as i did a track day with you mere months before the track was closed. was there with xr club and even though im no longer a member i had an awesome time. [i was the only xr to spin that day, therefore i was driving the hardest ]

and now i'm even more glad to see an active representative of Total Driver here on the forums and showing as much vigour as the rest of us. good luck to you guys as i know your proposal will be top notch for not only use drivers but for the track too.

CMON MAYOR CHAPMAN, DO THE RIGHT THING!
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Good luck Mick. let us know the outcome
Old 24-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #16
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Thanks guys, we should hear from Council with 2 weeks or so.

We've got everything crossed here

Cheers,

Mike
Old 24-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #17
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've been following the on going saga of lakeside all the way through. Good luck with it I hope it survives & is used as it should be again.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i drive past lakeside on my way to work every day

and went to dakabin school and used to hear the V8s being given a run over there while in class *aa the memorys*

and somtimes just cruise down the entrance road for a squiz

good luck total driver!! hope it gets put back to what it was built for and that is motorsports!!
Old 25-05-2006, 04:41 AM   #19
Stampy

Mick ,what do you rate your chances ,I belive a devoloper's have bigger brown paper bag's for the local gove ,and there grease seems better for the wheels than any motor sport grease.

Best of luck ,I hope the new QLD Ford club are talking to you already to get the first booking underway

Alan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #20
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go total driver i have spoken to gene and i hope all goes well.

Ian
Old 25-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #21
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Great News ,Total , good to hear it might be open again . many memories at lakeside in the early 80's , watched Alan Jones in a 911 & Colin Bond in a 924? also saw a "Recar" Commodore go backwards into the bank & flatten it to the rear screen on the straight late Sat arvo , they loaded it into a transporter with 2 guys in the back to strip the car "on the run" to Brisbane , next morning same 2 guys got out , they'd just finished fitting the bumpers . Amazing job..
Also wifes brother used to run up there in the "Mini Challange" (NSW v QLD) it was always a close one between him & a guy called Phil Stimpson I think his name was . Bro-in-law used to "2 wheel" around Hungry's every time.

This is Clyde Lee's Mini -

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #22
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Mick ,what do you rate your chances ,I belive a devoloper's have bigger brown paper bag's for the local gove ,and there grease seems better for the wheels than any motor sport grease.
We rate our chances as being pretty high. The grounds will never be "re-developed" as such (what I mean is bulldozed for urban development) mainly because of the importance of Lake Kurwongbah as the Shires main water supply. Money has a lot to do with it, but I think the Councils' main gripe is that the successful tenderer must provide the community with a facility that will be beneficial to A: The Constituants (they have something to use and be proud of) and B: The Council (they don't have to spend money building something elsewhere for the community)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Best of luck ,I hope the new QLD Ford club are talking to you already to get the first booking underway

Alan
Spoke with Chris yesterday, he advised me of the plan. On a personal level, I mentioned my interest in becomming a member as well. Of course, Total Driver look forward to helping out wherever we can.

Thanks for the well wishes, it's very stressful at the moment.

On a lighter note, we have received formal notification that one of the 7 on the tender list has officially pulled out. If we are successful, we will form an association with them so they may utilise the facility, but it's good to know that it's down to 6.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 25-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #23
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Good luck Total Driver, I lived in the area for 4years, only left at the start of the year, and it was so frustrating to have a track not more then 15 minutes away, and to have the damm council preventing any action on it.
Old 25-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #24
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would possibly bring the Indy carnival there too being that the gold coast keeps ALMOST losing it...etc etc
and alot of very influencial people live in the apartments that the track goes around at surfers paradise!!
Old 25-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #25
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Go Total Driver!

The shire will never look back if they open it, they will make so many people happy and decrease illegal street racing
Old 25-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #26
janek
Ripping it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
Go Total Driver!

The shire will never look back if they open it, they will make so many people happy and decrease illegal street racing

AMEN to that. I dont think i will be the first to admit that i have been involved in bothe illegal street racing and organised legal events. The latter is far more fun, not to mention safer. Tracks and strips need to have some decent supprt from government authorities. They truly do provide a massive release, but within safe limits.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
janek
Ripping it up

id be curious to see what a piece of land like that would be worth...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #28
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

This is all good news Total Driver, fingers crossed that the facility will once again be used for amatuer motorsports. Just out of interest, would the front straight be able to be used for 400m drag racing? I don't recall how wide or long the front straight is, its been a while.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #29
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
This is all good news Total Driver, fingers crossed that the facility will once again be used for amatuer motorsports. Just out of interest, would the front straight be able to be used for 400m drag racing? I don't recall how wide or long the front straight is, its been a while.
It could support Drag Racing but unfortunately Council would never allow it.

Too much noise generated from Exhausts and Tyres :(

Plenty of *quieter* Motor Sports we can do though.

Cheers,
Old 25-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #30
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would street registered drags be ok tho?
like drive in off the street in your regular car and drag

but NOT allowing the dropping of mufflers.. or any purpose built drag cars etc

so would remove all the red light draggers from the street and put them in a safer environment

i remember seeing "operation drag" run by the police at lakeside back when it was open ..

wouldnt that be just as noisey as circuit racing??

hope that made some sense??