Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Default Clunky Noise

Hey guys i have a 5speed xr6 and there is a clunky noise coming from the rear when i slow down to a slow speed or change gears in a low gear, any thoughts of what this is?

it is really starting toget on my nerves and is making the car unpleasent to drive

2002auxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
FRIKA
FRIKA

Auto had the same problem. I replaced the Diff oil and added an additive and the final result was amazing.

Dont quote me on this. Maybe some manual owners have some advice.
Old 17-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE
Auto had the same problem. I replaced the Diff oil and added an additive and the final result was amazing.

Auto or manual i don't think it really makes too much difference , This problem can usually be 1 of 2 things - or even both .

1./ If the cogs in the diff are wearing out lightlly then this can cause a backlash effect - sometimes if its only mild then yes it can be sometimes 'semi quick-fixed' by adding new diff oil - the newer oil is thicker again and fills the slack between the cogs a bit reducing the whip effect, this quick fix only works until you have major wear .

2./ You could have slack/worn universal-joints on the tailshaft, when these are gone they need to be replaced .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Auto or manual i don't think it really makes too much difference , This problem can usually be 1 of 2 things - or even both .

1./ If the cogs in the diff are wearing out lightlly then this can cause a backlash effect - sometimes if its only mild then yes it can be sometimes 'semi quick-fixed' by adding new diff oil - the newer oil is thicker again and fills the slack between the cogs a bit reducing the whip effect, this quick fix only works until you have major wear .

2./ You could have slack/worn universal-joints on the tailshaft, when these are gone they need to be replaced .
i changed the diff oil and that hasnt changed a thing
Old 17-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quite a common problem going back to EB days. And is still a issue on some BF. With the AU, Ford changed the diff oil spec's and added a additive. This was a quick fix. The only way you are going to get it fixed properly is to have the diff re-built. The manuals highlight this condition more so than the auto.

I re-built my diff in the old AU1 XR8 manual yonks ago and the difference was amazing. No more clunks and noises from the rear. Went through all the crap with Ford as the car was still under warranty, but they kept (and still do) saying it's "normal". Paid for the rebuild myself in the end.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
stiddy
Banned

its just driveline slack.. its not a bad thing. just doesnt sound the best.

Ive got a brand new diff and my car still does it.. 5spd here by the way. when the diff was getting done, all the joints were fine. Although the diff guy did explain to me there needs to be some slack between there gears in the diff to allow for oil to get between them.. but I think that was 0.8mm lol.

I dont really thing there is a solution apart from driving style.. I can drive my car around without it making the clunk.. or i can drive it and it will clunk in every gear..

you can try replacing the uni-joints.. but unless they are stuffed I think you'd be wasting your time.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy

Ive got a brand new diff and my car still does it.. 5spd here by the way. when the diff was getting done, all the joints were fine. Although the diff guy did explain to me there needs to be some slack between there gears in the diff to allow for oil to get between them.. but I think that was 0.8mm lol.

I dont really thing there is a solution apart from driving style.. I can drive my car around without it making the clunk.. or i can drive it and it will clunk in every gear..

you can try replacing the uni-joints.. but unless they are stuffed I think you'd be wasting your time.
thanks for the adivce but i think i might just get it rebuilt because it is really getting on my nerves

starting to wich i brought a auto
Old 17-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy

thanks for the adivce but i think i might just get it rebuilt because it is really getting on my nerves

starting to wish i brought a auto
Old 17-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Well getting a diff rebuilt, last time I was quoted it was ~$660.
The only other suggestion I can think of would be to put a really thick heavy duty oil in. But not too thick or it wont get into the barings. I used diff oil and additive the same as dad used to put into his 8T truck, got rid of the whine and the slack wasnt as bad.
Hopefully it fixes your problem.. or atleast minimises it.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If your giving your car a guttfull all the time ( booting it from a standstill ) , then its gonna happen pretty soon again after a diff rebuild anyway probably... As STIDDY mentioned "its just driveline slack.. its not a bad thing. just doesnt sound the best." .. he's spot on and also as he mentioned it does come down to driving style . I have an Auto and my car does it a bit too if i just back off instantly off the accelerator (especially if it do it just as it going into another gear ), if i ease the accelerator off a bit slowly before braking it pretty much stops the driveline slack, you can work your driving style around it easily ;) . Imo with the manual if you try keeping the revs up a bit higher during gear changes, try to avoid changing gear into too low an rpm , helps a bit with a manual to avoid the driveline slack .

Old 17-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
If your giving your car a guttfull all the time ( booting it from a standstill ) , then its gonna happen pretty soon again after a diff rebuild anyway probably... As STIDDY mentioned "its just driveline slack.. its not a bad thing. just doesnt sound the best." .. he's spot on and also as he mentioned it does come down to driving style . I have an Auto and my car does it a bit too if i just back off instantly off the accelerator (especially if it do it just as it going into another gear ), if i ease the accelerator off a bit slowly before braking it pretty much stops the driveline slack, you can work your driving style around it easily ;) . Imo with the manual if you try keeping the revs up a bit higher during gear changes, try to avoid changing gear into too low an rpm , helps a bit with a manual to avoid the driveline slack .
Yeah but it is still annoying as, i got qouted $450-$500 to have it rebuilt so i might just get that done
Old 17-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
Yeah but it is still annoying as, i got qouted $450-$500 to have it rebuilt so i might just get that done
Yeah depends how bad it is , if its only minor then it can be worked around , if its major clunking then its pretty hard to avoid and probably does need doing. By the way though , if the diff is that bad then it might be worth just having the uni-joints on the tailshaft inspected while its on the hoist. Every diff i have ever had that has 'badly' needed a rebuild, usually the uni-joints on the tailshaft needed replacing too .. im not saying yours will need replacing - they might - just worth checking to be sure while your at it ;) . gl

This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #13
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Yeah depends how bad it is , if its only minor then it can be worked around , if its major clunking then its pretty hard to avoid and probably does need doing. By the way though , if the diff is that bad then it might be worth just having the uni-joints on the tailshaft inspected while its on the hoist. Every diff i have ever had that has 'badly' needed a rebuild, usually the uni-joints on the tailshaft needed replacing too .. im not saying yours will need replacing - they might - just worth checking to be sure while your at it ;) . gl
yeah im replacing them tomorrow anyway as i can them for only $15 at repco
Old 17-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Quote:

starting to wish i brought a auto
Join the club! my manual drives me nuts

sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickxr
Join the club! my manual drives me nuts
Automatic or Manual transmission , either way you cant escape it :Up_to_som ..lol

Old 18-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
kc_ksom
Starter Motor

Umm yep, mine is the same too, lol....

Casey
kc_ksom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

In the end , if you wand a driveline that will last you pretty much forever and never clunk , then drive like a GRANDPA ( taking off slow as possible ! ) ..lol ..

Destruction/wear is inevitable in the end , especially with us lot with modded cars giving it a gut full from a stand still off the line. There is an extreme amount of force on the driveline when you go burning rubber / booting it from a standstill ... especially doing a burnout in the gravel then hitting bitchuman/road <-- thats a no no ! ..lol

Old 25-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #18
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Quote:
Hey guys i have a 5speed xr6 and there is a clunky noise coming from the rear when i slow down to a slow speed or change gears in a low gear, any thoughts of what this is?

it is really starting toget on my nerves and is making the car unpleasent to drive
I just got a AUII XR8 and it has the same prob. didn’t do it on several test drives so I wasn’t aware of it but the car dealer did mention that sometimes it does make a small clunk when change down gear from second to first (auto) pretty much when approaching a red light for example.
I don’t want to sound stupid by repeating what he told me cos it didn’t sound right to me but you guys know more then I do so it might be worth a mention.
He told me that a mechanic told him it was a Solenoid and the replacement value if it bothered you that much would be about $500.
As I said I do not know much about the problem that’s why I am here
But having read all your guys past experiences the clunk I hear now and then in our new car does sound more like a diff related problem.
I need more advice before I go on the search for someone to fix it as I don’t want to poor out more money then I have to.
Thanks guys love the site and all the help
SLYXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8-2000
I just got a AUII XR8 and it has the same prob. didn’t do it on several test drives so I wasn’t aware of it but the car dealer did mention that sometimes it does make a small clunk when change down gear from second to first (auto) pretty much when approaching a red light for example.
I don’t want to sound stupid by repeating what he told me cos it didn’t sound right to me but you guys know more then I do so it might be worth a mention.
He told me that a mechanic told him it was a Solenoid and the replacement value if it bothered you that much would be about $500.
As I said I do not know much about the problem that’s why I am here
But having read all your guys past experiences the clunk I hear now and then in our new car does sound more like a diff related problem.
I need more advice before I go on the search for someone to fix it as I don’t want to poor out more money then I have to.
Thanks guys love the site and all the help
My auto experiences the same sort of clunk from 2nd to 1st when giving the throttle a little bit. I get around it by more gentle acceleration and the clunk is heaps less. Was told about the solenoid too, but the auto guy said it didn't need relacing, was within spec. I don't like the clunk every now and again, but for no, I'm happy to spend the $500 on other things! LOL! :hihi:

Also, when I take the auto out of econ mode, it clunks less!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

im going to try changing the oil on friday and i will keep you guys posted.
hope it fixes the problem or atleast makes it a bit better.
i think because my car has a real touchy accelerator might make it clunk easier. how hard are they to adjust or to get them adjusted?
Old 29-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #21
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE

Done this today and was told to allow 2 days of running around for it to work but it has done wonders already. my Car is now CLUNK FREE!!! w00t! :
Old 29-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #22
FRIKA
FRIKA

Talking

Quote:
Done this today and was told to allow 2 days of running around for it to work but it has done wonders already. my Car is now CLUNK FREE!!! w00t! :
Im Glad it helped. Mine is still clunk free.
Old 29-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #23
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR AYTE and XR8 2000, what diff oil did you use and what is the additive? I will be doing mine very soon,
Thanks for any help
cheers
Bill.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 04:55 AM   #24
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
XR AYTE and XR8 2000, what diff oil did you use and what is the additive? I will be doing mine very soon,
Thanks for any help
cheers
Bill.
I went to ford and they sold me the Oil and Additive it was castrol synthetic diff oil. GK actually has a great step by step DIY thread you can find here. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=42 Hope this helps mate.
Old 30-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #25
XR6Stu

I had this really bad, and without being stupid, ive found that if I drive my series1 5spd XR6 a bit harder it reduces the clunking. Also used new oil with an additive. T hat helped as well.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

my TE does it to as in stoppin at red lights, not really on hard take off it annoys me but i wouldnt have a clue how to change diff oil lol
Old 30-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
What additive did you use?

Glad you are clunkless! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #28
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

to be honest it was just in a black bottle, came from ford in wollongong, was out of a white box with red writing (Differential Additive)
Old 30-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #29
FRIKA
FRIKA

I used top diff oil. suitable for my car. sorry cant remember which one.
the Diff Additive is from Ford (not cheap) R178 Additive.

Changing the diff oil is very easy only cause i had help.
Old 31-07-2006, 03:48 AM   #30
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

i got a quote from DriveLine Gears in Wollongong and they charge $100 for the Oil and Labor so if it fixes your problem and you dont want to change the oil yourself then it is $100 well spent.