Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Default BF FPV - XW Re-Lived?

Just went for a cruise round the FPV site....

The FPV/ Ford Credit FPR Falcon V8 Supercar, to be driven by Greg Ritter and Cameron McLean in the Super Cheap Bathurst 1000 on October 9, will showcase a redesigned GT badge ahead of the official unveiling of the new BF range from FPV at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney on Thursday October 13.

The new design has been inspired by the classic GT badges of the 1970s. It replaces the blue keyline centre introduced on the BA models with bright and bold orange - as was featured on the iconic GT models from XW in 1969 through to XB in 1976. The shape of the GT badge has also been revised with a more rounded edge.

The new badge will be displayed on the leading edge of the roof of the Ritter/McLean #5 FPR V8 Supercar.

Genuine badges will also feature on the bootlid and upper air intake of the front grille in both the FPV/Ford Credit and the Caterpillar FPR V8 Supercars, the latter to be driven by former Bathurst champions Jason Bright and David Brabham.

The placement of these badges replicates the design introduced on the revised FPV BF range. The inclusion of the badge in the upper air intake of the front grille has also been inspired by the heritage of the legendary GTs of the 1960s and 1970s.
"The GT legend was born at Bathurst," said David Flint, Managing Director of Ford Performance Vehicles.

"And, while the bold new FPV BF range will remain under wraps until the Australian International Motor Show on October 13, we wanted to provide our customers and enthusiastic fans with a glimpse into the future.

"The new GT badge is just a small element in the myriad of upgrades we have made with the new BF range. But it does provide a preview at the level of detail we have applied to continue improving our product.

"Ford Performance Racing has a terrific track record at Bathurst, having finished runner up for the past two years. The team is confident it has made significant gains in recent rounds and is ready to take the GT badge back to the top of the winner's rostrum."

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?targ...599&type_id=59

Are things from 30 years ago coming back?

Or is FPV looking to play "copy cat" for inspiration????

I say copy cat....

Here is another interesting bit...

FPV has sold more than 3000 BA GT sedan variants up to the end of August 2005, eclipsing the previous benchmark of 2949 set by the iconic XW GT Falcon and GTHO Falcon built between 1969 and 1970.

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?targ...598&type_id=58

Hmmmmmm.....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't really matter that much. Its just a badge. The only thing it achieves is to make it more attractable to kids to steal
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Doesn't really matter that much. Its just a badge. The only thing it achieves is to make it more attractable to kids to steal
Quite true, i find it odd that they are going back to designs that were iconic in their time.

Why re-live a classic through plastic???

Surely there is better designs to use than copy the X series GT's...

Old 03-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok we now have 3 different threads about a poxy badge _
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
EL_futuraistic

I suppose they are trying to get back to their heritage but yeah with computers and design people getting $xxx,xxx per year surely they can come up with new ideas.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I can't belive they are trying to wet peoples appeites with information such as that..

Whats next "Tyre placard has been adusted 10mm lower to lower C.G".

When are they going to tell us something really interesting, like alloy blocks, more power, dual outlets, track suspension option, e-diff etc.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
When are they going to tell us something really interesting, like alloy blocks, more power, dual outlets, track suspension option, e-diff etc.

I think the "performance" part of FPV will always be a questionable subject........... it:

Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't mean to be a cynic, but maybe that's as good as it gets.

Well that, twin exhausts and 8 extra kw. Whoopty do Basil!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
B-1B
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its just a badge as Bucky said but at least they didnt say it was an instant classic.

Why are antagonist posts from members with high post counts so common now?
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #10
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Don't mean to be a cynic, but maybe that's as good as it gets.

Well that, twin exhausts and 8 extra kw. Whoopty do Basil!
*cough* six speed auto???...jeez your a tough crowd!

I must admit though the old badge was a bit naff.....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #11
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll find there will be significant advances on the BF GT. Aside from the 6 speed there was nothing much worth noting on any other BF models, I'd wager that Ford has put alot of stock into the FPV models. Maybe we'll find the F6 has some major improvements (*cough* 6 speed auto) to boost it's lacklustre sales.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

lacklusture sales?

what are the figures? I didn't think they were that bad.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #13
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression they were lower than expected? Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't even remember where I read that!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
jeez your a tough crowd!
Yeah I know, I guess as a fan it's certainly been a love hate relationship with FPV, I think there comes a time where you can't take any more spin from the PR/Marketing department. It's overbearing, its arrogrant, it's an overdose. It's the very reason I stopped being a "as loyal as a dog" Holden fan.

Not opening the old can of worms, FPV exhibit's a great range of distance tourers, I guess almost on the similiar premise of the Honda Goldwing (with worse build quality ), but their not the track devils that FPV PR pretends the cars to be.

Meanwhile, the real performance and handling kings in the country, IMHO have very little spin-doctoring, I've only ever seen a couple of double spread ads in the motoring magazines for the STI and the EVO.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Doesn't really matter that much. Its just a badge. The only thing it achieves is to make it more attractive to kids to steal
Today's badge stealing children are tomorrow's car buying adults. We know that brand loyalties etc. are established during the childhood years. If children are going to steal badges (and as a former badge stealing child I know it is impossible to stop), I'd rather they steal Ford badges than Holden badges. It provides them something to lust for latter on in life.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #16
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Question is wheres the dam value..

XT V8 gets better than BA FPV MKI and MKII standard brakes now. Also gets a 6 speed auto.
Not to mention 10 more kw (ha could be double that).. and what is it, 30 nm more.. XT would now proberly hassle a MKI GT around a track or on the street..

If FPV really wants to set itself appart they are really going to have to do something. How much would alloy blocks cost? Bugger all. Ford US was promising by 2006 all Ford engines would be alloy anyway. How about a E-diff, what maybe $1000 more at manufacturer time.. What about a proper aero package? How about a suspension setup somewhere in the lineup that gels with the aggressive looks.

Seems like FPV is a badge engineering company now.. Yep, we put new badges on Fords and charge shedloads for them.

Wheres the FPV limo.. Given that the performance part of FPV was always questionable, atleast with a LWB that wouldn't matter so much as long as it looked bad ****.. But no they can't even deal with that! Jesus, atleast make one with a 290kw engine and some kind of rear lip so that LWB owners everywhere can order a part or replica to make the AU/BA hybrid back not look so crook.

Given that the average ford line up is ever encroaching on FPV's performance and looks you'd think they would have planned something..

Oh yeh, great plan, GT badge. In a diffrent font, stuck in a diffrent place (where the old cars used to have it).

Eventually FPV is just going to be some 17 y.o apprentice with a 9mm spanner and some playdoh.

Is it just me or can I see bits of FTE poking through the cracks in FPV.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Given that the average ford line up is ever encroaching on FPV's performance and looks you'd think they would have planned something..
One look at the new T, 70 Nms's behind Phoon. Thats SFA.

T has more Torque then a Boss!!!!

Somthing is wrong there. No Snailed 6 should have more power from factory than a FPV V8.....

Quote:
Oh yeh, great plan, GT badge. In a diffrent font, stuck in a diffrent place (where the old cars used to have it).
IMO - No ideas and a copy cat of a classic....
Quote:
Eventually FPV is just going to be some 17 y.o apprentice with a 9mm spanner and some playdoh.
What? They not already there :hihi:

Seriously i don't think it will go that far.

But lack of upgrades and letting the Xr's and XT's be better then FPV, is a bit out of place.
Why pay 60 odd for a FPV, when few extra $$$ in a XT will do just as well???

If FPV keep this lack luster change and increase of performance up, and the excessive PR to boot, outlook will be not so good...

Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
SSbaby
Banned

I didn't want to be the first to post it... but that is badge engineering to a 'T'.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me thinks its all about heritage...which is something that the darkside don't have...they keep chopping and changing.

Think about the colours of the first gt's in the current range and we all know that the stated p/figures are under the real figures.

Don't just kneejerk..think about it first.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #20
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I didn't want to be the first to post it... but that is badge engineering to a 'T'.
haha I wouldn't get to (ok(y..before you know it commodores will be made in Korea :evil_laug
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #21
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Me thinks its all about heritage...which is something that the darkside don't have...they keep chopping and changing.

Think about the colours of the first gt's in the current range and we all know that the stated p/figures are under the real figures.

Don't just kneejerk..think about it first.
Spot on.Holden have never had a Heritage like the GT and they never will even with the XB GT bonnet styled Monaro.It's good to see FPV educating the next generation of buyers that there heritage is just as important as any fudged up power figure.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #22
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
haha I wouldn't get to (ok(y..before you know it commodores will be made in Korea :evil_laug
Go a little west of Korea and you will find the country which Holden will mean a great deal to one day.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Go a little west of Korea and you will find the country which Holden will mean a great deal to one day.

FF
Huh? New Zealand? I thought they already sold cars there! LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Huh? New Zealand? I thought they already sold cars there! LOL.
A 'little West' he said, not 20000 miles West :
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #25
SSbaby
Banned

Guys,

Heritage means very little today. If that's all that FPV will cling to then they've lost the hearts of the Ford performance enthusiast.

And I've read heaps of messages of disappointment here of members complaining about the lack of performance improvement over BA GT.

Btw, Holden/HSV have taken performance to a new level, exceeding what is supposed to be Ford's best attempt at performance motoring... so in that context, the GT era was just a great era of the past. Today, GT is true to its name... Grand Touring. It has very little to do with outright performance... despite the marketing slant on the racers.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Today, GT is true to its name... Grand Touring.
.....and the problem with this is?

Unlike Monaro - game over (due to sound file corruption)
Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #27
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
.....and the problem with this is?

Unlike Monaro - game over (due to sound file corruption)
Problem? GT is/was a moniker that Ford used to identify it's race-bred models. FPV is attempting the same with a car that really isn't of the same ilk as the GT of yesteryear, yet for the BF range, FPV are willing to spend money limited to just a badge upgrade and on a marketing campaign at Bathurst.

I gather you are content with FPV's latest effort to revise the GT badge for BF?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #28
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people say Holden dont have any heritage? Ford have the GT and Holden have the Monaro.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS what the hell do you guys want...

If there are changes, you whinge.
If there are no changes, you whinge.

Oh no, the 2006 XT has better brakes than the 2003 GT....
What are you saying?
Should all of the lower models be restricted in safety features to preserve the **** value of older models.

Oh and this "copycat" mentality.... I wonder if calling the 'performance falcon' a "GT" rather than a "TE54 T4" had anything to do with its success?

New badge... GREAT
Minor upgrades... GREAT
FPV.... GREAT

My only problem is will my fourth FPV be a GT-P, F6 or XX-XX (notice I did not use a previously used 4 character acronym of a high end falcon because that would be copycat and people would whinge)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #30
HSE2

Quote:
Guys,

And I've read heaps of messages of disappointment here of members complaining about the lack of performance improvement over BA GT.

You have? Where? We don't know what performance improvements are on offer yet!
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post