Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default another BA airbox in AU question to end them all

ok so i tried that mod a long time ago but never tried cutting the box to bits to make it fit perfectly...today i took it out and took pictures.

now can anyone whos done this 'cutting' please tell me where to cut....the redish stain on the box is where its rubbed against my engine bay paint.....im guessing that where i cut but any help please tell me..

oh and how did you patch the hole?...is that plastic able to be heated and remolded or is it thermosetting plastic.

i have almost every angle of the box if you need more.

hopefully this should also help anyone wanting to do this later on, or abit worried about it fitting.

EDIT: looking now i dont think the ruler will help at all, the box is on an angle oh well treat it as coordinates

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
ok so i tried that mod a long time ago but never tried cutting the box to bits to make it fit perfectly...today i took it out and took pictures.

now can anyone whos done this 'cutting' please tell me where to cut....the redish stain on the box is where its rubbed against my engine bay paint.....im guessing that where i cut but any help please tell me..

oh and how did you patch the hole?...is that plastic able to be heated and remolded or is it thermosetting plastic.

i have almost every angle of the box if you need more.

hopefully this should also help anyone wanting to do this later on, or abit worried about it fitting.
It Will NOT Fit without cutting it a Fair Bit ,About 5cms from the Flat Bit your showing towards the top of the Airbox on the Bottom Half Should be Enough ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
It Will NOT Fit without cutting it a Fair Bit ,About 5cms from the Flat Bit your showing towards the top of the Airbox on the Bottom Half Should be Enough ..
did you patch the hole or leave as is?....mine fits just not the top 2 bolts im lazy and scared ill stuff it up....its not broken so i wont touch it

2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8

Old 25-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the hair dryer out, heat the areas where the red paint is and use a piece of timber to reshape it.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Get the hair dryer out, heat the areas where the red paint is and use a piece of timber to reshape it.
That's a good idea I reckon. If it doesn't work, then you can cut it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
was thinking oxy but yes ill try the hair dryer first

though i dont know whether that plastic will just get hot and eventually burn or heat and become soft enough to remold.....it is in an engine bay remember

2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8

Old 25-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

its thermoset , wont budge with heat ..

Old 25-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
its thermoset , wont budge with heat ..
It works for AU airboxes, so I figured it will for BA. I've found if you get any plastic hot enough it can be reshaped. If a hairdryer doesn't get it hot enough a heat gun certainly will.
The plastic needs to be much hotter than the heat an engine bay radiates thats why it's not affected.
Old 25-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

heating something thermosetted will de-strengthen it . becomes brittle , learnt this working for a Plastics Moulder .. The Heat needs to be concentrated in a Small Area , Heat Gun or Hair dryer is too big

Old 25-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I can accept that, but reworking the bottom of an airbox by heating it isn,t going to adversly affect anything or result in failure of the box.
Old 25-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Cool , so when the Engine Bay heats to its usuall 80 degree ambient temp and your stress heated airboxs cracks when its Cooled and Heated about 5 times , you can come back and say .. Bugger i Should of listend to the Fat Red Haired Kid ...

Old 25-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Daniel is right, it will crack and I'd say you'll be lucky to even get 5 cycles of heat and cool out of it. Just remember too it may only be the bottom that cracks but it is more than likely that the lid will come free and then you'll have unfiltered air entering your engine.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I made the suggestion becuase I have heated the parts of the airbox where the spring type clips are fitted for LPG, the top is always in place after backfire, clips also remain in place after backfire, when Tickford used to fit the LPG systems they did a similar thing, if the mod can survive a backfire then I can't see a problem with this.
Old 25-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Totally Different Situation , the backfire is 3% Heat , 95% Pressure and 2% LPG , Hence the Air Not Escaping the Intake Quick , pressurising and blowing the top off the Airbox ,..

Heating it will cause it to loose its strength and then crumble later on , so when the car Does Backfire on the good old BBQ Gas , bits of Airbox go into the Throttle Body and .. Well you know the rest ..

Now here is something i could help with

When i had a stab at this before just cutting mine , the BA/BF Lid Just Missed fittin on teh AU Bottom , try and fix this Riddle .. and you will have one better than me .. But Heating it is a no no ..

Cheers
Daniel

Old 25-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you need to have another read of my post. I heated the airbox where the clips are fitted. This acording to you weakens the airbox. Now if the box can survive backfires, how is an unstressed part of a lower box going to fail?
Old 25-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just get a BA XR8 pod and be done with it. Apart from a small piece of adapter silicon hose (2.5" to 3" joiner will work), it fits like a bought/made one. Ever wondered why the BA XRs didn't come with the square box, and why BA owners upgrade to the Pod filter setup (and the Pod owners upgrade to G&D). Just save all those hops, skips & jumps and buy a G&D/Bluepower box, or the value alternative, the XR8 Pod (it's all you need for the I6).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Just get a BA XR8 pod and be done with it. Apart from a small piece of adapter silicon hose (2.5" to 3" joiner will work), it fits like a bought/made one. Ever wondered why the BA XRs didn't come with the square box, and why BA owners upgrade to the Pod filter setup (and the Pod owners upgrade to G&D). Just save all those hops, skips & jumps and buy a G&D/Bluepower box, or the value alternative, the XR8 Pod (it's all you need for the I6).
where do you get these from (I'm guessing ford) and how much are they?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #18
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Here is a link to the FTG pod filter kit they sell.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=46888

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have moded my AU box with an extra 3" pipe at the front i plastic welded it and it looks and performs well I just used a short PVC fitting from bunnings cut to suit I then used black vinyl spray to make it look the part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbox.jpg (57.1 KB, 419 views)
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
Brisbane ghia

looks sweet, did you notice performance gains
Brisbane ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

with the other mods yes and sounds better too also got KN filter Tickford snorkel and Hyclone(don't cringe I tested and on petrol it gives 60 to 80 Ks extra on a tank not as much on lpg but stiil there are gains) advance extractors 2.5" redback system now I love driving through maccas drive through the echo is awesome.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I think you need to have another read of my post. I heated the airbox where the clips are fitted. This acording to you weakens the airbox. Now if the box can survive backfires, how is an unstressed part of a lower box going to fail?
It's not unstressed as heat causes stress, and there is plenty of that in your engine bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
i have moded my AU box with an extra 3" pipe at the front i plastic welded it and it looks and performs well I just used a short PVC fitting from bunnings cut to suit I then used black vinyl spray to make it look the part
Real bad idea, PVC pipe cracks after a couple of weeks. I and many others on here have tried it and we have all had the same result, cracked PVC pipe.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
I got mine through AFF - they come every now and then for around $100, but the wreckers, trading post etc. One guy in Canberra got one for $50 - I thought my 2 for $200 with BMC high flow filter and standard filter was good (which it was).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 28-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
It's not unstressed as heat causes stress, and there is plenty of that in your engine bay.
Like I said, I have modded them with a heat gun on lpg engines and no failures have occured to the modded area even after a backfire, how can you dispute that?
Only last Friday I serviced an 279000km EF with factory lpg which had the airbox spring clips secured by heating the box still had all of the clips in place. The rest of the intake tubing had plenty of tape covering splits and breakages.

Last edited by AUXRVIII; 28-04-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 28-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #25
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
I bought mine for $150 and came with a new paper element, K & N element, pod box, bracket, lower front snorkel and the pod box has also been modified by SVO to accept an XR6T snorkel, plus it came with the XR6T snorkel. Was rapt!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I bought mine for $150 and came with a new paper element, K & N element, pod box, bracket, lower front snorkel and the pod box has also been modified by SVO to accept an XR6T snorkel, plus it came with the XR6T snorkel. Was rapt!
Similar deal to mine, but I got an extra box as well, which meant I did both cars.

Talking of BA bits in other cars, I just re-engineered and fitted a fully functioning BA shifter handle (auto) into my EL. I've seen others, but they don't actually work when you press the button - this one does! sleep:

Old 29-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #27
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Similar deal to mine, but I got an extra box as well, which meant I did both cars.

Talking of BA bits in other cars, I just re-engineered and fitted a fully functioning BA shifter handle (auto) into my EL. I've seen others, but they don't actually work when you press the button - this one does! sleep:
pics or ban

2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8

Old 29-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
pics or ban
Already had a "holiday" once, so it's no big deal having another one, but here are some pics anyway:

More work done during the night while watching the Aussies cream the Sri Lankans. Anyone notice my approx 5 hour mod here?

Yes, it's a BA shifter adapted to fit the E series "stalk", and the mechanism inside reversed so that pushing the button activates by pressing on the stalk (the BA one normally pulls up the stalk), meaning all the detentes work, so you need to press the button to P-R, R-N, D-N, R-P & N-R & 2-1. One of the most small, challenging and yet rewarding mods I've ever done, because I had to engineer around an @r5e-about mechanism (thanks to Rollin for the inspiration, sort of).

Old 29-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
pics or ban
And before you ask - It could possibly be adapted to fit an AU.

Old 29-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #30
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
And before you ask - It could possibly be adapted to fit an AU.
lol i wasnt going to.....i got manual

i just wanted to see this one as it was talked about so much doing it in the AU

love your work, NOW adapt the aston martin "flappy paddle" style gearbox for my AU..lol apparently better with a auto box anyways

2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8