Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
crannersEL
Banned

Default Exhaust Question..

For people that have seen and heard my car its not very loud, or should i say not as loud as it should be. Ive got Pacemaker extractors - Hi Flow Cat - 2.5" redback system with the resinator and a muffler.

Friends with similar setup's and no extractors or hi flow cat seem to hard louder and deeper exhausts.

I've been told by a few people to get my resinator taken out, which is a possibility but i want to explore other avenues first.

Could the intallation of a turbo muffler or hotdog increase the sound slightly?

I dont want it too be too loud, just louder.....

Thanks Paul

crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
-jjM-
Banned

take off the rezzy, ull get ur sound
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I reckon you'll get tired of a loud exhaust pretty quickly. Mine is quiet and I wouldn't have it any other way. When I jump into Damo's car or my Mum's VS it gets annoying having the exhaust droning away all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
andrewts
White Car Driver

Yeah, it is very boomy inside without a resonator. Besides, As long as it sounds cool, right?
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

resi does the trick, but also, what extractors? 4480's have a much softer idle and noise overall compared to the 4499's.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

my exhaust consists of a 2.5" cat back system with a hotdog and it sounds really good. especially when i mash the loud pedal! id say get the hotdog and take out the rezzie! it'll sounds sweet as with extractors and hi flow cat!

by the way never have i been sick of hearing the exhaust! i love it! but i am 18 so that might be the reason! only really drones badly at 110km/h on the freeway.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
resi does the trick, but also, what extractors? 4480's have a much softer idle and noise overall compared to the 4499's.
I've got 4499's niko

So does the hotdog replace the ressy?

Also how much should it cost to get the hotdog put in?
Old 15-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

if you want noise- just make it pipe, if you want good cruising on freeway get hotdog
Old 15-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
John_LS1

your problem could be even though its a 2.5 system it may be a triflow design. if i were you i would get the centre replaced with a lukey straight through. i dont like the note any redback exhaust gives from hearing others cars.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
Browney

yeah i have a lukey 2.5 system with a hotdog and pacie 4480, and i'm pretty happy with it. Its quite just cruising but is pretty loud when giving it to it and sounds pretty good IMO, no noticeable drone at all. Definitely would recommend it.
Old 15-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
your problem could be even though its a 2.5 system it may be a triflow design. if i were you i would get the centre replaced with a lukey straight through. i dont like the note any redback exhaust gives from hearing others cars.

my bro has the redback system and it sounds nuts...im sure you aggree!
Old 15-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
my bro has the redback system and it sounds nuts...im sure you aggree!
Does it have a Hotdog in place of the ressy Niko?
Old 15-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
335JET
@jas_23_

ive got a redback exhaust, with standard cat and headers. its got one muffler, and the rear is straight through.
was a bit quiet when i first put it on, but has goten louder, when cruising its dead quiet but really opens up when i give it a bit.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #14
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

mines redback and it sounds really good!
Old 16-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
sambo7

Ive just had a 2.5" redback exhaust put on. I have Pacemaker 4480 and a hi flow cat. Ive got just one muffler and no resonator. On startup it sounds fantastic and then when it's idiling it's not too loud but you can still hear it.

Not much drone on the highway, but if you open it up you deff can hear it.

I would agree that the 4480 Compeition headers are not as loud as the 4499 ones.

Iam guessing this is due to the piping as the 4480 pipes are thinner?

Are the 4480 any better than the 4499 or is it much of a much with them. Apart from 4499 giving abit more noise is there any difference that is noticable?

I know my headers really kick in at around 2,000-2,500 RPM. and after that it has alot of go.
Old 16-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Hi Cranners,

I have lukey headders and a redback 2.5 with the sigle muffler and a hi-flo cat.
Its not too loud in idle, just gives a low hum, but at about 2000 rmp it gives out a bit of a droan..
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #17
crannersEL
Banned

Yeah im over the idea now, went to a few exhaust joints this morning and they dont think it will make much difference with the system ive got.

Time to get amp installed instead :-)
Old 16-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #18
Kenster

Cranner you might want to put the sign saying Vibratoring mechanic and the for sale next :
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #19
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenter
Cranner you might want to put the sign saying Vibratoring mechanic and the for sale next :
Lol yeah mate, i told you i get a heap of boot rattle, still liking the idea of my new sticker :
Old 16-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #20
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
Lol yeah mate, i told you i get a heap of boot rattle, still liking the idea of my new sticker :
dont i know it we all saw it for ourself on friday night
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #21
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenter
dont i know it we all saw it for ourself on friday night
Never mind, all in the name of fun! :
Old 16-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #22
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Mine's similar to some of the above. Fully stocko from muffler forward and redback without the resinator. Sounds bloody good to me - cruising at about 100 has a soft hum in the background (can't hear it with the system cranked up); idling sounds lumpyish (my neighbour thought I had extractors) and it's only loud between 2000-2500rpm. But that's with standard auto and diff, don't know about other setups.
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #23
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

i got headers, stock cat (yuck), and a 2 1/2 redback system with only one lukey glasspack in it. hasnt got as much bark as i would like but isnt droney
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #24
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a shot at taking the reso off and getting a straight through pipe all the way through. I did it for $60, and there is a big difference!. The note is much deeper and i dont really notice any droning at 80km or 100km. I have before and after clips of the exhaust note, so pm if you want to hear the difference between them.

cheers
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #25
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

But you've got a 5.0.

And think of a VN V6 minus its resonator. Different sound again!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #26
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh i know its an 8, but there is a difference with the reso on and off. Its just to state how much difference it can make to the sound, regradless of the engine or the car.
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #27
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Can I just ask a stupid question? what is a ressy?

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #28
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

I remember back in the days of the ED wagon, i got the exhaust done, got it with the rear resy took it out for a drive didnt notice a differance, took it back to the exhaust shop telling them i wanted it loud! they swapped the resy around for a straight thru pipe and it was LOUD lol - this was on stock headers and stock cat.

when i had the AU i had the rear resy removed on the stock exhaust and it didnt make a differance, then later on i got the 2.5" put in without a resy and she got nice and Loud

(BTW: for the question above^^^^ a resonator is another name for a muffler)

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylEA
Can I just ask a stupid question? what is a ressy?
a resonator is basically a secondary muffler, which is generally right up next to the tail pipe outlet. It is commonly used to achieve a nice balance of exhaust note and interior noise comfort levels. People refer to them as 'hotdogs' because they resemble the shape! Looks like a sausage inside a bread bun.

Cranners if you go to a decent exhaust place they may well let you try a few different hotdogs, until you get one you're happy with. It makes a big difference changing it. When i got the cat-back system done on the EL, once it went on the thing sounded exactly the same! I got them to try 3 different hotdogs until i got one that gave a nice note. The EB doesn't have one at all, and it drones a fair amount in the cabin, and when i say a fair amount, i mean a LOT lol. After about 60km/h though it's all good. With a 6 it can still make a big difference in noise though, but you should be able to find one with the perfect balance of drone/nice exhaust note. I'm running a Redback resonator in the EL and it's pretty nice.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #30
crannersEL
Banned

Well, had an interesting few days. Was going to get the ressinator taken off late this week, and happened to have a run in with a piece of timber on Maroondah Hwy on Monday and smashed the back end of my exhaust.

Its straight through atm waiting on a ressy being ordered into the exhaust joint, meaning there is only one mufler. It sounds allright but its way too dronny, will a hot dog keep the loudness but clear the drone?

Its illeagle as it is i think, dont want attention drawn to the car by the boys in blue either.