Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Default Computers and engines

Hi guys,

Just thought of something... when did they start putting computers in the E-series, was it from the start or later on? And what does this mean for my EA with a 4 litre newer engine (when did they start declaring 4.0L instead of 3.9L? Cos I know they said 4.0L, and also something about ED engine was mentioned? It was a while ago now!), anything different that I should know about?

Just he's idling like crap but smooth on petrol. Still have the CFI, nothing was changed there...

It just came to me and as usual, I'd like to know more. Advice, as always, appreciated :

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.

Last edited by bindi; 16-01-2005 at 03:46 PM.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Brent-EA Ghia

Hey Bindi, all the E-series were fitted with computers, the 4-litre motor was introduced with the EB 2. The 4litre should run fine with the centrepoint injection if its all working happy!

Brent.
Brent-EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
bindi

Well Brent something is not happy cos the bugger is running like crap on LPG yet fine on petrol! :

I am getting a bit frustrated as to why it's doing that, can't really afford much at the moment to go to a mechanic (post Xmas bills and all) but am curious as to what the hell is going on.

Not doing so well with fuel economy either. Not driven any differently (hubby drives it to work and back) but the last tank we only got 270kms out of - we used to get around 350 - 400...

And of course there is the disappearing water act it still continues to perform, another engine later...

Quote:
Old 16-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Hi guys,

Just thought of something... when did they start putting computers in the E-series, was it from the start or later on?
The EFI XF's had an ECU
Quote:
And what does this mean for my EA with a 4 litre newer engine (when did they start declaring 4.0L instead of 3.9L? Cos I know they said 4.0L, and also something about ED engine was mentioned? anything different that I should know about?
The MPI ECU and CFI ECU are different. ONe runs 6 injectors the CFI only the two

Quote:
Hi guys,
Just he's idling like crap but smooth on petrol. Still have the CFI, nothing was changed there...
The ECU is obviously working fine or it would be missing like a dog on both fuels. It is an LPG issue not an ECU problem imo

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Not doing so well with fuel economy either. Not driven any differently (hubby drives it to work and back) but the last tank we only got 270kms out of - we used to get around 350 - 400...

And of course there is the disappearing water act it still continues to perform, another engine later...
Check that the gas convertor is hot to touch at idle. Poor economy and crappy idle can be a symptom if the gas convertor freezing.

Take it into a radiator place and ask for a 'Cooling System Presure Test' that is the only way to trace mystery leaks. Shouldn't cost more than $10 for them to throw the tester on it.. Alot cheaper than another engine :O)

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
bindi

Ok so LPG problem - shall take it to my LPG mechanic

And yes, I was considering pressure testing. All this though involves somehow getting the car off my lesser half! He uses it from 6.30am to 7.00pm every weekday... and he won't take the rolla cos he reckons I kill every bit of music with too much bass. Hates the sub, can you believe it? LOL Well he has no choice, this is important. Prevention is cheaper than a cure :

Thanks, it's put my mind at ease.

Quote:
Old 17-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
niko
likes falcon's

ford had some ecu's in EFI xe's lol
Old 18-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
4lex
the pom

On the mystery coolant loss, I had a similar problem with a previous car. Local motor spares place sold me some dye to put in the system, on the assumption it was coming out of a pinhole somewhere which couldn't be seen. Drove around for another few hundred and inspected again with an UV lamp & it was obvious the top hose was split slightly on the underside. The dye cost about fifteen bucks and a black tube for an old bathroon cabinet lamp fitting another ten.
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
bindi

thanks Alex, sounds like a good idea

Handy that black tube hey?

Quote: