Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
tabletennisman

Default Car Stalling

Recently we've been having a few problems with our auto AU1 Futura. It all started with the car not starting making a tick tick tick sound as we tried to start the car. All the lights, etc inside the car worked, but just wouldn't crank over. We soon discovered it was the battery so charged it up and the car started fine.

But here was where the problems started. The car sometimes stalls when below 500rpm (ie when stopped at lights or going very slowly). I've noticed when it "almost" stalls (car shakes), its at around 400rpm, and its fine at around 550+rpm. So, I've done the ECU Reset, and have since done just under 300kms, but are still having the same stalling problems. All sparkplugs have been changed as well as new oil, oil filter and air filter.

Anybody have any ideas before we take it to a mechanic?

Cheers, Appreciate any help!
Adrian.

EDIT: It only struggles when in drive/reverse. Its fine in neutral and park.

tabletennisman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try cleaning the throttle body and isc valve, then go from there
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
BA Turbo

How do u clean a throttle body i got a BA turbo and got simular problems please help
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
try cleaning the throttle body and isc valve, then go from there
Cheers buddy. Will give these a try on the weekend.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
tabletennisman

Another thing i forgot to mention, when it stalls, the oil light comes on. Not sure if this would have anything to do with it. I've found some guides of how to clean the throttle body and isc valve so will give it a go on the weekend.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

this sounds like when your battery died you took it out to charge it and now the computer might have reset. Im not sure if they reset from haveing the battery out for to long. But if they do and im sur someone will correct me if im wrong, your computer will be reading that your throttle body is new because the computer is reset. As said above you will need to clean it out as it is not getting the air the computer thinks its getting then it stalls. If that makes any sense to you at all. I just read it back to myself and nearly confused my self. Ha ha
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
tabletennisman

Thanks for everyones help. Just finished cleaning the throttle body and it seems to be fixed! Going to work tomorrow will be the real test but so far so good.

For anyone who searches this in the future, here's the guide to cleaning out the throttle body: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=48

Just curious, but how has cleaning the gunk out stopped it from stalling? There was barely any black grease gunk in it? Definitely less than there was in that guide!

Cheers,
Adrian.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more than anything it's the cleaning of the isc valve that helps with stalling as this gets clogged up with carbon making it harder to move, therefore cleaning it helps it move properly again
Old 01-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
more than anything it's the cleaning of the isc valve that helps with stalling as this gets clogged up with carbon making it harder to move, therefore cleaning it helps it move properly again
Looks like I spoke too soon. It's not quite as bad but did drop to around 500rpm at the lights and shook a bit. All I've done is what was in the guide above with cleaning the throttle body. I take it the ISC valve isn't the same thing? If not, can someone point me to a guide?

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know there is a thread somewhere about it, tho i can't find it now.....where you took the intake piping off the throttle body, above that is a cylinder shaped device with a wire hanging out of it. This is the isc valve, undo the bolts holding it on, unplug the wire, remove it.

Turn it upside down and there are 2 holes. Spray a decent amount of carby cleaner in it, then either use compressed air or a screwdriver and a rag to try and clean some of the crap out of it, then afterwards give it a bit of a spray with wd40 or similar to lubricate it a bit.

Put it back on and test the car, this should hopefully fix your problem
Old 01-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

An ISC looks like this

Last edited by Blue Ice; 06-01-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
tabletennisman

Found the How to guide on cleaning the ISC Valve.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

This is all clean now, however i ripped the gasket/seal as i was pulling it off so i'm gonna have to buy a new one tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help. Will let you know how i get on.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
tabletennisman

Well, went to Ford this arvy to get the ISC Valve gasket (ford called it a air bypass valve - did not have one idea what a ISC valve was and thought i was from another planet). Put it in, reset the ECU however still the same problems.

So i remember reading somewhere that the idle should be 800rpm? So i'm gonna adjust it from 750 to 800 rpm and see if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
tabletennisman

anyone? :
Old 06-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #15
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I had the exact same thing happen with my 2000 series 1 Classic, fine in park and neutral but the revs were too low in normal driving stalling and carrying on etc....

Turns out it was the Base idle needed to be reset, apols if I offend anyone here, but I tried every single trick suggested to get it to relearn itself but at the end of the day I took it in to Denmac Ford at Darra in Brisbane and had it fixed but $45 approx.

It was the best $45 I think I've spent on it, because the problem was just annoying the heck outta me.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
tabletennisman

Well, yesterday leaving work, went to start the car. Nothing. Flat battery! So got it replaced and it seems that that may have been part of the problem? Got home and reset the base idle, however it still does shake a little (very little - could do this normally, but cant remember). The revs are still a little irregular but not too bad.

Will leave it like it is for now and hope it doesn't get bad again!

Thanks to everyone who helped!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #17
blacklabel

Could also be your charging system, eg-alternator and/or regulator.
Battery light flickering at all??
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
Could also be your charging system, eg-alternator and/or regulator.
Battery light flickering at all??
Thats what i was thinking as it was only struggling when we were idling (which is when it isn't charging). Battery light doesn't flicker.

Car is still shaking, but nowhere near as bad. Next chance i get i'll up the idle RPM's to 850rpm instead of 800.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hi TTMan,

Glad the "How to's" were easy to follow.

The problem though is with your battery being stuffed. Low idle issues can occur when the battery is about cactus.

With the new one fitted, go through the computer reset procedure and it should sort itself out again.

Resetting of AU ECU
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=85

Keep us posted.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #20
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Hi TTMan,

The problem though is with your battery being stuffed. Low idle issues can occur when the battery is about cactus.

With the new one fitted, go through the computer reset procedure and it should sort itself out again.

Resetting of AU ECU

Keep us posted.

GK

Sadly I found this exact thing out the hard way symptoms presented just before the battery packed it in.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #21
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Hi TTMan,

Resetting of AU ECU

Keep us posted.

GK
Thanks for taking the time to write out all your guides! They've been very helpful.

Did the ECU reset one final time. Also upped the idle rpm to 1000rpm in neutral & 750-800rpm in D.

You can still however feel it shaking/vibrating (even in Neutra/Park now & at 1000rpm). So i've come to the conclusion (a couple of mechanics have said) that it will be the leads! Well, i can only hope. They're gonna be a bugger to replace to, whilst trying to get ur hand in!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #22
Philboss
Starter Motor

Gday mate, I have an EL Falcon that does exactly the same thing. I've done every trick that has been posted here & more. Cleaned n replaced 3 ICS, cleaned throttle body, changed leads, reset base idle, new battery, used a feeler gauge on the throttle cable backing plate, increased the base idle using the throttle backing screw, none of it has worked. I'm gonna replace the battery terminals & have a local mobile ford machanic I've recently been introduced to, who is gonna put it on his computer. Like one bloke said in a previous post, it's just a problem that annoys the heck outta ya. I have a stage 2 crow cam in my 4litre, so the carryin on it does is often exagerated.
Philboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #23
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboss
Gday mate, I have an EL Falcon that does exactly the same thing. I've done every trick that has been posted here & more. Cleaned n replaced 3 ICS, cleaned throttle body, changed leads, reset base idle, new battery, used a feeler gauge on the throttle cable backing plate, increased the base idle using the throttle backing screw, none of it has worked. I'm gonna replace the battery terminals & have a local mobile ford machanic I've recently been introduced to, who is gonna put it on his computer. Like one bloke said in a previous post, it's just a problem that annoys the heck outta ya. I have a stage 2 crow cam in my 4litre, so the carryin on it does is often exagerated.
Let me know how you get on buddy!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
all4fordau

Every time you reset the ecu it will take some time ( up to a couple of days) for the ecu to completely relearn all the parameters it needs for the correct operation. With all that you have done so far, I am sure if you just drive it for a few days it will relearn what it needs to know and you will be fine. Damn those computers!
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

idealy you will want the computer to be good to go from the get go as soon as its reset, if the basics take a while to sort out, then the computer is not the real problem, the ECU is mereley learning how to mask the real issue over time, when infact it should only be learning how to improve fuel economy/emissions etc
Old 22-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #26
s2_hyundai_s2
Starion Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletennisman
Well, went to Ford this arvy to get the ISC Valve gasket (ford called it a air bypass valve - did not have one idea what a ISC valve was and thought i was from another planet). Put it in, reset the ECU however still the same problems.

So i remember reading somewhere that the idle should be 800rpm? So i'm gonna adjust it from 750 to 800 rpm and see if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas?
give your car a can of Vtech, and see what it does :ohnoes:
mad guy :
nah ummd duno,
i will check your car out when i go to your house mate

see you sometime, tabletennismang
Old 22-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ttman,

How has your car been going?

Is it sorted now? Did you get the leads changed?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #28
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Ttman,

How has your car been going?

Is it sorted now? Did you get the leads changed?

GK
Well, it hasn't stalled since, but still is a little rough. Have the leads sitting in the garage. Still have to put them in but it looks like its gonna be bloody hard to get your hand in there even!
Old 15-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
cazzi_miei
Starter Motor

Hey t man..

Still having problems?

Not sure if it could be applicable to your situation.. (Is yours a 6 cyl?) but here's what's happened to me... Exact same symptoms you describe, although mine never actually stalled.

Maybe thats because it's an 8.. always a bit harder to pin point the fault on an 8.

Its an AU2 XR8 ute.. 230,000ks.

Looks like my friend finally found what the problem was.. it is now fixed.

And after doing/eliminating all the items below.. I might add that it runs like new ..

I searched these forums at length and tried all the things suggested.

Replaced Spark plugs..
Checked Leads.. Possible arc-ing to exhaust etc..
Cleaned Throttle body..
Checked Air flow sensor in air box because of possible oil build up from K&N filter..
Diagnostic test for possible error codes..
Including Oxygen Sensor etc..
Took injectors off.. Tested.. Cleaned..

Finally.. turns out the HARMONIC BALANCER was the problem.

Apparently.. after speaking with another mate of mine.. They are a common problem on the windsors.

Any way.. hope this helps you or others with similar problems.
cazzi_miei is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post