Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Damo
Banned

Default Electrical Problem.

Heya,

The Battery light came up on the EA last night, and hasn't gone away, it's only readin 10.5 volts on the gauge thing. :( I've checked the terminals and grounds and shit, but to no avail. I know this should be in tech but, i'll get a better response here.

Could it be as simple as my battery is dieing, maybe alternater ? The battery is less than a year old and i've flattened it a few times, and the car had a reco alternater about 2 years ago.

It all happened so sudden, just driving home and I see the battery light come on, look at the gauge and it was at about 11, now about 10.5. The car still starts fine, drives fine and the battery seems healthy, so i'm guessing something is draining heaps of power somewhere. I don't really know where to start looking. Also when i indicate most of the time locks cycle, car has factory central looking, which doesn't work with the key, and i pulled out the alarm ages ago. The sterio (turned off) flahes on and off. The wiring under the dash is all very sloppy, lot's of splicing etc, maybe somethings come loose... again. I don't know what to look at.

So where should I start looking, what is wrong with my car, i'm soo dissheartened about it atm. I hope it's something simple.

Oh and I ran over a nail at work today, and popped a rear tyre. Friday the 13th eh. :(

Any help appreciated, I know auto electricians charge a shit load and I don't want it to come to that.

Thanks.

Last edited by Damo; 13-05-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

I think the battery light can be a bit of a problem in the e-series falcons. For about 6 months now, my parents EBII wagon has had a problem in that quite often, when they'd start the car, the light would come on and stay on for 10 to 15 minutes. Being a GLi, it doesn't have a battery gauge, but the car still starts beautifully. I know someone else with an EB who has the exact same problem, so I think it's quite common.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Damo
Banned

ahhh ok, thanks for you input. The battery light has never come on before except on start up, and has never stayed on. The thing is, it was reading like 14-15 volts (is it volts) on the guage and now it's almost down to the red zone.

soo depressing. :( ****ing cars!
Old 13-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

Yeah, it's Volts. It does sound like a different problem, but hopefully it still isn't serious.
Not having the volt gauge, I can't tell what my parent's is doing. Sorry I can't help you. I'm sure someone will have a solution. Gotta love that EA quality!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
feral-foes

Default Elec problem

Sounds very much like the alternator has gone out to lunch, the light goes out when the alternator is charging and if it stays on after the car is running it means the alternator is not charging and your volt meter is only reading the battery volts which at 10.5 means its going flat. Nip down to the auto sparkie, it may just be a diode pack but probably a good idea to have the whole unit rebuilt or replaced
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

mine was doing it for a while replaced this black thing on the back of it, that channels the power to the battery, only on the bosch ones but
Old 13-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
Damo
Banned

hmm, would this explain the door locks cycling when I indicate though ?

Niko, I think mine is a bosch, it's an 88' EA. Did you replace the 'black thing' with a new unit or one from a wrecker ?
Old 13-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The black thing would be the regulator. Many an alternator has been fully replaced with a faulty regulator.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
Damo
Banned

I'll see if i can pinch mums car in the morning then off to pik a pocket.. err part.

What about the door locks.. :( Aghhh, i need a new car.
Old 13-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
InitialD
Low and Loud

Damo, When you come get that diff, Ive got MANY perfectly working Regulators here you can have, as I dont need them since i know have a Mitsubishi Alternator ;)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #11
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah sounds like the alternator not charging man. the locks would cycle cause they don't know what their doin cause there's not enough power. Same for the stezza. You'll probably find after a while it's not going to start without a jumpstart.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2005, 01:46 AM   #12
Damo
Banned

So the general cencesus is alternater. I'm going to InitialDs` place tommmorrow to pick up a diff and were gunna try a few regulaters. If that don't work then, I guess i'll just have to get a new alternater. :(

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 14-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #13
Sundeep
Banned

Hit the alternator a couple of times while the cars running and see if it starts charging again. That would mean it's the regulator. The regulator has 2 lilttle brushes on it that can wear out, if they're only 5-6mm long it means it's gone.

If that's not it I have a alternator you can have for cheap cheap $10. I'd charge $30 but I owe you $20 lol.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Whats the voltage across the battery terminals engine not running? Should be 12v
Whats the voltage across the battery terminals engine running? Should be around 13.5-14v
Whats the voltage across the battery terminals engine running while giving the throttle a gentle tickle? should fluctuate never lower then 12v and never higher then say 14.5V
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Damo
Banned

All fixed now! Yay.

Turned out to be the alternater. My car completly died on the way to Sunny's place, corner off Maroondah rd and Dorset/Exeter road, what a nightmare that was, traffic everywhere, sik kunts yellin abuse, fun and games. $80 for a tow 5 kms up the road what a rip that was, the towie was a nice guy though, $20 to fix it.

Thanks again Sunny you're a champ. Car is back to normal now, lookin forward to tommorrow.

Damo