Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Do some manufacturers actually want to sell cars?

Over the past 4 weeks, Mrs XWGT and myself have been test driving vehicles to replace an older one. We have a fairly set criteria, but are open to all makes and models that fall within that range. They are not cars at the cheap end of the market, and in some cases are the most expensive cars that the manufacturer actually produces, which is why I am puzzled and out right ИИИИed off with a certain manufacturer to relate the following.

Lets play match the manufacturer to the sales service.....

Manufacturer 1. Sure how many days would you like to take it for? Why not take its big brother as well, just to see how you enjoy it? Courtesty call the day before to assure that all was still booked and would not be a problem.

Manufacturer 2. You must make an appointment as only one person can deal with this type of car. No problem. Appointment made. However due to unforseen circumstances person unable to meet entire commitment, so an entire afternoon of their time rebooked and spent playing with the vehicle.

Manufacturer 3. Instantly accommodating. Vehicle driven, then offered to be delivered across town so Mrs XWGT could drive it at her leisure. Also the possibility of a track session if required.

Manufactuer 4. Sorry, cannot take you for a test drive, as not enough staff avaiable. Takes details, will call to arrange the vehicles for the coming weekend. Week one goes by, no phone call. Call to enquire as to when the test drive will occur. We will be called back. Week two, no phone call. Hence no test drive, hence no opportunity to covince Mrs XWGT that the cars are worthy of consideration and therefore they miss the boat entirely.

Now, have fun matching the manufacturer to the sales experience.

In no particular order....

Mitsubishi
FPV
Porsche
Subaru

Nuff said........

Old 03-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
pb02
inconceivable!

1. Subaru
2. Mitsubishi
3. Porsche
4. FPV
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Close..........however the one that matters is correct

4.FPV
Old 03-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
1. Subaru
2. Mitsubishi
3. Porsche
4. FPV
My thoughts also
Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
pb02
inconceivable!

I've found Ford and Holden in general are very poor when it comes to test drives. I've had other manufacturers throw me the keys without me even asking or showing much interest in the cars!!!

Please tell me I'm correct with the Porsche? The possibility of a track session is so tempting!!! lol
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
I've found Ford and Holden in general are very poor when it comes to test drives. I've had other manufacturers throw me the keys without me even asking or showing much interest in the cars!!!

Please tell me I'm correct with the Porsche? The possibility of a track session is so tempting!!! lol
let's all head down in a group and take up that option. Is the quarter mile up for grabs too ?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Stampy

OK thats at the high end of the market .
When I wanted to purchase a ford from john mcgrath Canberra all they said was we are busy and you have to make an appointment (So I have to make an appointment to purchase a new car?) was my answer ... Yes we are very busy..... well I guess they already made there quota for the month so I was left out in the cold ....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate went to Ford dealer in Hervey Bay last year to have a look at the new utes with the V8 and was told to come back in two days time as they had to get one from Maryborough(35km's away)or he could drive up there and check one out,
he has his own trasnsport bussiness and told sales rep he wanted them to bring one down that arvo,sales rep said sorry no can do if you really want one then why not just drive up there ,my mate went straight to the Holden dealer and test drove their top of the line model and signed up same day.
he still loves the look of the Ford utes and has never owned a Holden in his life(50 years old)so has owned lots of new and used cars, he told me if thats fords attitude,imagine if he had a problem with it if he was stupid enough to have brought one.hahaha.
P.S
his words not mine,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

When my dad's mate bought his F6 Typhoon from City Ford in Sydney, they let him test drive one without even seeing his licence. The dealer there was pretty good actually.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Porsche was #3.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
muppet

When my wife was looking at second hand eb falcons she went into a toyota car yard and asked the sales rep if she could take one for a drive. He told her that she could not take it for a drive unless she was going to buy it. She said how do I know if I want to buy it if I have not driven it.He would not let her take it for a drive so she said I just sold my 92 magna for $16000 and I will be buying a car by the end of the week and it will not be from here. You should have seen the guy he allmost followed us down the street trying to get us to go back. My wife just turned around and said you blew it mate pi$$ off.
Then when the eb got stolen we decided to get a smaller car so we went looking. We walk into a holden dealer and asked to look at all the small hatch backs. When I told the guy we had an eb falcon and wanted to get a smaller car he said that we should get a commodore. Isaid but we want a small car we had a big car and now we want a small one . He then started going on about how much better the commodore was than the falcon. Again we had the money ready to buy and the guy just would not listen to us oh well his loss. Car salesmen think they can pick who has the money and who is just there for a joy ride by the way they look and I gess that a black t shirt and jeans means I have no money.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
.....much better the commodore was than the falcon. Again we had the money ready to buy and the guy just would not listen to us oh well his loss. Car salesmen think they can pick who has the money and who is just there for a joy ride by the way they look and I gess that a black t shirt and jeans means I have no money.
Yeah i had that same thing happen at a very big car 'entity' in Ringwood, some of you may know where i'm talking about. There was a probe in there in mint condition that we were interested in taking for a spin, as we were looking for a new car for the mrs at the time. Was given the same crap by the 'sales rep', You can test drive it if you're going to buy it he said. Some people are honestly a 6 pack short of a slab, yeah sure i'll buy it, here take all my cash and credit cards!!! Meanwhile you get in and take it up the road to find a list of problems longer than your arm. Some people just shouldn't be in the jobs they have.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problems like this at all at Hills Ford Hornsby and Power Ford Castle Hill when we purchased. Power Ford let us take a Territory out for a day, on the spot, no hesitation. I think it must vary from dealer to dealer - maybe some brands are better than others but our Ford experience has been very good.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Hi guys

Some interesting responses there. Unfortuantley it looks like it's not an entirely isolated incident.

The order actually was

1. Porsche - New Cayman S and 911 Carrera C4
2. Subaru - WRX Sti
3. Mitsubishi - Evo IX
4. FPV - GT and F6
Old 03-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do pb02 and others still want their track session in the Mitsubishi?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Do pb02 and others still want their track session in the Mitsubishi?
Mate I would take a track session in a Ssangyong Stavic if the offer was available!!!! :
Old 03-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

we are happy to let people drive just about any model car there on the spot, however when a new car has been launched or with the XR's and FPV's we get a lot of tyre kickers who just wanna take it for a fang, every kilometer on the car reduces its value, its sometimes hard to distinguish between the serious buyer and the bloke wanting a joy ride. If your a potential buyer and honest about it then we're happy to let you drive any FPV.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

maybe the ford thing has somethingto do with selling so many cars or something,especially compared to the others here. The greater amount of people that take test drives mean a greater percentage of people just after a joy ride...but still theres no excuse 4 that!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Mate I would take a track session in a Ssangyong Stavic if the offer was available!!!! :
i think u bumped ur head bro :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #19
XWGT