Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default BMW unveils a new twin turbo in-line 6 cylinder engine!

Link to article

Awesome. The first production turbo-charged BMW petrol engine in 20 years.

Now if only BMW could get a new styling team.....

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 21-02-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not true on the 20years, they've had Turbo Diesel for a while....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Jeez that sounds pretty bloody good ay. Dont mind the Beamers. Even if they are waaaaaaaaaay out of my price league.

10 years time that the donk that gonna be used in many retrotech cars. eg Z cars. instead of RB..det itll be that thing.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Hopefully we'll see Jeremy Clarkson thrash it somewhere. I don't mind the BMW's either, the drivers are usually tossers though which is a shame cause they're good cars.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
nb_351
building the xe...

i think we have to worry about being the benchmark turbo 6 cyl sedan with the ba/bf... although it wont be as common, it will be in another league...
thats true about it being a transplant of the future...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

im a fan of beamers too...my inlaws have an M3....its sooo nice and sooo fast...i am so gonna marry into that family
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
scotty_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Not true on the 20years, they've had Turbo Diesel for a while....
That's why it's the first petrol turbo.
scotty_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 03:16 AM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_d
That's why it's the first petrol turbo.
It didnt say petrol when I replied
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Simmo
White Lightning

i heard about this a little while back and now its finally out the numbers look great. im sure there will be much more than 225kw when they tune it up for the m3. twin turbo inline six is my favourite engine configuration.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
scotty_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It didnt say petrol when I replied
I'm sorry, but how the hell was I supposed to know that. I was just trying to let you know there are differences between petrol and deisel engines. I didn't think you could edit a post after 10 minutes anyway seeing as Falcon Freak posted at 8:24p.m and you posted 14 minutes later.

Anyway I guess I'm just trying to apolagise for not being able to go back in time and read unedited posts.
scotty_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
XRated
Shoot.

Mmmm mmmmmmm

An INLINE 6 TWIN turbo, what more could one ask for?? "Ford....."

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Mmmm mmmmmmm

A single 6 cyl turbo??? Less complex, just as big numbers, no lag on 4L six. What advantage does the twin setup have?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Simmo
White Lightning

well twin turbos can be setup a few ways. 2 smaller units to provide little to no lag on smaller engines. can also have 1 small and 1 large so the small one kicks in some boost from down low and when it runs out of puff the second one should be done spooling and can start cranking in the boost. or you can just run 2 huge units for heaps of lag but massive boost.
Old 22-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure i saw one yesterday. Bridge Rd. Rusty/Yellow M3 Convertible, with a shiny chrome intercooler on the front. And boy did this girl chirp the wheels or what!
Old 22-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #15
Simmo
White Lightning

i didnt think theyd be here if they only just unveiled the engine?? i know there are turbo kits for the I6 beemers thought. it would need a fair size intercooler since the comp ratio on M3s is about 12-13:1. cant stuff much boost in there.
Old 22-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It must of been aftermarket turbo kit. But god daim, that intercooler looked so hot! And so was the chick driving it.
Old 22-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #17
act2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
A single 6 cyl turbo??? Less complex, just as big numbers, no lag on 4L six. What advantage does the twin setup have?
The biturbo six employs new technologies such as two low-inertia turbos feeding a trio of cylinders each to "eliminate" turbo lag.

The huffed six offers even more torque than BMW's base V8 (which produces 390Nm), with a "Table Mountain-like" curve that peaks between just 1500rpm and 5800rpm. That's 15 per cent more power than the 130i and 30 per cent more torque. Redline is a lofty 7000rpm.
act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #18
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
im sure there will be much more than 225kw when they tune it up for the m3. twin turbo inline six is my favourite engine configuration.
The next m3 will be a V8 (derived from the V10 daddy) not a twin turbo. I doubt ///M cars would ever deviate from the n/a route.
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
Simmo
White Lightning

thats good then i spose. i really like heavily engineered NA donks with big redlines. also to see that turbo engine in a 1 series would be so awesome. have really like the 1 series ever since they came out. the 130i and m sport models just sealed the deal. now for another M1 [even though they wont cos of the old car] with that engine on some great suspension and get rid of that speed sensitive steering rack and youve got a cult pocket rocket.
Old 22-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #20
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Mmmm mmmmmmm

GT -> GTHO
TYPHOON -> SUPER TYPHOON!

It's time to go... GT-P..... :
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #21
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
well twin turbos can be setup a few ways. 2 smaller units to provide little to no lag on smaller engines. can also have 1 small and 1 large so the small one kicks in some boost from down low and when it runs out of puff the second one should be done spooling and can start cranking in the boost. or you can just run 2 huge units for heaps of lag but massive boost.
But the Subaru B4 was an abysmal failure due to massive lag and that had twin turbos. I still fail to see any advantage to twin turbos. Just about all seriously modded GTR skylines ditch the twin turbos for a large single unit.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
But the Subaru B4 was an abysmal failure due to massive lag and that had twin turbos. I still fail to see any advantage to twin turbos. Just about all seriously modded GTR skylines ditch the twin turbos for a large single unit.
for true driveability on a stock car, they use TT. for big numbers and wheelspin in 4th they use 1 big one. its their first turbo car in 20 years and they have the golf and others to compete with that claim bugger all turbo lag. bmw will want to pump out a car thats just solid all through the revs. turbo lag is lame and thats why bmw are using twins to sort that out.
Old 22-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Ask Porsche why twin turbo systems work well. Just look at the 911 Turbo, 911 GT2, 911 GT1, 962 LeMans...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #24
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Twin Turbos arent necessarily "better" on all enignes... there are some where they work better than a bigger single ( ask renault about their RS1 F1 engine! ) and some engines where a big single is better..
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #25
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Ask Porsche why twin turbo systems work well. Just look at the 911 Turbo, 911 GT2, 911 GT1, 962 LeMans...
The Porsche engineers are awesome and could make any twin turbo, single turbo, N/A engine work better than just "well".
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I was quite dissapointed with the numbers. With twin turbos and direct injection it only makes 30kw more than the 195kw 6 in the 130i. Torques up to 400 from around the low 300's, but it seems like a whole lot of extra effort and production costs for very little gain. The XR6 Turbo has an extra 55kw from the stock 190 engine with only one turbo and wiothout direct injection.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #27
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

The perfect Ford competitor would be a turbo charged Fairmont Ghia. But according to Ford theres no possible market for such a vechical.

While another option for 3 and 5 series, I think the real rocket would be the 1 series with it.. Given with 195kw it already has 0-100 in six flat.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #28
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak

Now if only BMW could get a new styling team.....
Not everyone's cup of tea hey... but i actually really really really really like the new BMW styles.

I really like em
Old 24-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
The perfect Ford competitor would be a turbo charged Fairmont Ghia. But according to Ford theres no possible market for such a vechical.

While another option for 3 and 5 series, I think the real rocket would be the 1 series with it.. Given with 195kw it already has 0-100 in six flat.
Let it go dude, there is no market for it. For that price you could just about buy an F6. Sales numbers wouldn't justify it. It can only work on the Territory as there is no other model with turbo in the current Territory range.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #30
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Quote:
Sales numbers wouldn't justify it. It can only work on the Territory as there is no other model with turbo in the current Territory range.
The Ford Territory Turbo
The Ford Fairmont Ghia Turbo

I don't understand what you are saying. There are two turbo territories. Using your logic then there should be two turbo falcons. Falcons still currently outsell Territories, if anything there should be more volume there.

Quote:
"Territory Turbo and Territory Ghia Turbo build on the many fine attributes inherent in the original Territory and then adds additional performance," said Ford Australia President Tom Gorman.
If there are two Turbo territories, why can't there be two turbo Falcons?
The regular Turbo Territory equates to a XR6 Turbo and the Ghia is the special luxury version.

I honestly can't see any reason why Ford wouldn't release a special Fairmont Ghia turbo with a special colour interior (perhaps black) and a few other tid bits combined with 18" wheels. Gawd knows the V8 Ghia is really going to struggle against the 30Kw more powerful 6.0L Calais.

Would be a decent market, for people who want something a bit more special, but don't want the fugly LWB cars and have promised themselves never to buy a 4wd.

I would hazzard a guess and say it would be the sort of car the would entice more euro type buyers. Given that XR6T standard fair is pretty dam sparce and XR image may be a bit too bogan for them.

But hey, Ford offically told me there would never be a Ghia turbo of any sorts so I guess thats that.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post