Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car won't start help needed please

Hi guys i have picked up an AU XL ute 2002 and can't get it started. It is duel fuel 6cly. The radio is displaying "err" and i have the code but haven't been able to enter it becuase it won't let me.
All the electrics work fine as well
Question is how can i get the radio back to the point i can enter the code and will this be what is stopping it start??
Thanks in advance, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worked out how to get the stereo code in by leaving the ignition on for 61 minutes and then it would let me put the code back in.

Same problem when going to start it though.
Turn the ignition on to start the car and nothing happens at all except the fuel pump whirs for a second (this is normal as they all do it) but it should at least be trying to start.

Toy Car Build
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

try to jump it, see what happens
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
try to jump it, see what happens
Yeh i'll give it a go, but i know there is plenty of juice in the battery as i have just charged it and it has always started another ute without any problems.

Thanks

Toy Car Build
Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Smartlock?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If it's not even cranking over, is it in Park? Try putting it in Neutral and see if it starts (could be inhibitor switch).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or the ecu is playing up

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the same issue with my car i put a smartshield computer out of a late model series 1 au into my smartlock lock earlier au,

and i have gone to start it and no crank at all, it would turn over but wouldnt start

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

it sound like the smartdhield is not linked to the ecu this will cause this problem from not starting. may need to tow the car to your ford dealer or a good auto elec so thay can be reprogramed.
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replys guys,
I have tried starting it in park and neutral both without success.
It will not even turn over.
The car as far as i know has not had any ecu or other wiring changed at all and was only re regestered in june this year. So it is between june and now that it has been stopped at some stage and not been started again.

747JET i think you may be right in needing it all to be reprogrammed by ford but i was hoping to not have to do this as it isn't registered as it is on WOVR register.

Thanks, Rhys.

Toy Car Build
Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

might be silly but have u checked the very basics. such as the actual ignition wire still be on the starter motor. or if the vehicle had an alarm system tht was removed, could cause problems.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default Faulty BCM?

I had similar problem with my AU3 wagon.....

It was the BCM developed a fault

Was looking at $130 for a s/h BCM from the wreckers, then fit it myself, $60 for a tow to Ford to get the BCM reprogrammed to suit my keys (another $120), so $310 all up......BUT........

2 days ago bought a (matching) BCM, ECU, ignition and 2 keys on Ebay for $71 (thanks Wayne)......picked it up this morning, fitted it this afternoon, alls great........just came on here looking for the thread I started last month to report the conclusion and saw your thread

Only thing is, the 3 items have to have come from the same car to avoid the cost /hassle of reprogramming

Cheers Keith
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcej
I had similar problem with my AU3 wagon.....

It was the BCM developed a fault

Was looking at $130 for a s/h BCM from the wreckers, then fit it myself, $60 for a tow to Ford to get the BCM reprogrammed to suit my keys (another $120), so $310 all up......BUT........

2 days ago bought a (matching) BCM, ECU, ignition and 2 keys on Ebay for $71 (thanks Wayne)......picked it up this morning, fitted it this afternoon, alls great........just came on here looking for the thread I started last month to report the conclusion and saw your thread

Only thing is, the 3 items have to have come from the same car to avoid the cost /hassle of reprogramming

Cheers Keith
Good post Keith.

There are usually a set or two of these matching items on ebay. Worth looking out for.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
gust98

just maybe look at the pink fuse in the engine bay and see if it has blown