Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Default Speed Detectors

Not sure if anyone seen 5th gear earlier tonight on Foxtel/Austar but they had an interesting story on speed detecors. Seeing as this show is a UK based show it got me thinking.
What r the best speed detectors that work here in Australia.

ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Uhm, my speedometer seems to detect my speed reasonably accurately...?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is only within 10 %+ or - , which is the national standard....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
Not sure if anyone seen 5th gear earlier tonight on Foxtel/Austar but they had an interesting story on speed detecors. Seeing as this show is a UK based show it got me thinking.
What r the best speed detectors that work here in Australia.
Radar detectors? I *hear* that road angel GPS system is quite good and you can get an attachment for it which picks up radar/laser.

PS, stunt driving was awesome.... tiff is a psycho.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i love that show, especially the earlier ones with Clarkson, he was nuts. interesting that you could use detectors (for information purposes, you gotta love that) but not the jammer in the UK, i think here in Australia they are all illegal. as for the best, it would best to find out what type of radar gets used in your area and go from there.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
nang3

Jammers are illegal in Australia, but detectors are legal here in WA thank fook !!!

Im testing a Bel Vector 945 which seems pretty good, a few false alerts but gives decent range so far - amazing how many radars there AREN'T when you are looking for them !!!
I think im going to go for the 995 though because you can turn off the X band completely .... X band = auto shopping centre doors etc
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The GPS based Road Angel is not illegal. Nor should it be.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3
Jammers are illegal in Australia, but detectors are legal here in WA thank fook !!!

Im testing a Bel Vector 945 which seems pretty good, a few false alerts but gives decent range so far - amazing how many radars there AREN'T when you are looking for them !!!
I think im going to go for the 995 though because you can turn off the X band completely .... X band = auto shopping centre doors etc
Jeez, Legal radar detectors! and you can speed like idiot and break the law too. Your road toll in WA must be going mental!!!,NOT.
Theyre banned most other places because of one reason only, they reduce piggy bank revenue.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:

my bel xr650 picks up most remote doors on k band. mine also can disable the x band.. i like it, especially for the oncoming cop cars..
im also from wa so its all legal here : all good
Old 02-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540
Jeez, Legal radar detectors! and you can speed like idiot and break the law too. Your road toll in WA must be going mental!!!,NOT.
Theyre banned most other places because of one reason only, they reduce piggy bank revenue.
hehe apparently they tried to ban them a while back in WA but some lawyer or motoring group or something did some tests and proved that detectors did in fact reduce speeding..

I still drive like i did before i had a detector, just now i'll avoid wasting more cash because of the kodak cops and highway patrol..
Old 02-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:

How do you know if it is a false alert and not just a hidden camera?
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 03:44 AM   #12
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Yeah that show has some great info on illegal stuff I liked that red beast she was driving. I have found a company in Australia that think there got the bees knees in detectors http://www.radars.com.au/main.htm It sounds ok but i guess it all depends on wh t u want it to do.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:46 AM   #13
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Uhm, my speedometer seems to detect my speed reasonably accurately...?
Yeah so dose mine but having an XR 8 u just got to open it up somtimes :hihi:
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
Gunns
Banned

I have heard that the Cobra XRS-9600 is prity good. Has saved someone I know a fair bit of cash. Falses a bit, and the downside is you can't trun off X band. Don't get caught with one in Victoria $500 on the spot fine for have one, regardless if you were using it or not + you loose the detector.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #15
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
How do you know if it is a false alert and not just a hidden camera?
well according to guy who imports them, ALL X band readings are false, but you can turn off this band on some, or on the 945 you can reduce it to not pick it up unless it is full strength.. not quite sure why you'd still want to !!

The K band is the incar radar and there are not many false alerts on this band, and the Ka band are multanovas with almost no False alerts at all i think..

so with the 995, once the X band is turned off only one in like 20 will be a false reading on the K band..

if anyone wants one of these, i can get them thru this guy who imports them from the US - totally identical to the Aussie ones except the menu options are differently preset from factory, he just enables the Ka band and thats it..

cheers
Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #16
benXaGt

Default speed freak

can u get me a price on one nang3 ?
i was looking at a bel rx65
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #17
nang3

yeh sure buddy, it will take a day or two cause the guy is out bush and out of range at the moment.. I'll PM ya when i know
cheers
Old 07-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NANG3 - As a Motorist's Advocate dealing primarily with NSW, I had a long phone conversation with then WA's Transport Minister, the Hon. Murray Criddle (LIB) on the matter, just prior to his departure. I found the gentleman to be open and progressive on the issue. The current Minister (LAB), has rightly not changed the law, this is appropriate.

Criddle had been under some serious academic and public servant pressure to ban the devices, primarily in order to 'fit in' with the Australian Road Rule on the matter, and to 'stop the road slaughter' etc and so on.

We discussed and referenced domestic and foreign research on the matter in order to find reason as to why the devices should be banned. Primarily, we could not find any evidence, scientific based or other methodology, that supported a ban.

I used in discussion a NSW Staysafe report issued prior to the NSW prohibition. I highlighted that the report studied 100 fatal crashes, where the authors believed the 100 figure should show 'a few vehicles' would have had a radar detector fitted, we could then see if genuine 'speed' over limit was a factor in the crash of the radar detector equipped vehicle/s.

An intervention study.

We could find NO detector fitted in any of those crashes, so the search expanded to 109 fatals, here, we found a detector in a car (4WD), but could not determine if it had been switched on or not.

We are yet to see any evidence that using a radar/laser detector in a car has killed or if they continue to kill people.

In the end, the decision was made to NOT ban the items in WA. The continued allowance has not seen WA's collective road toll skyrocket or otherwise balloon.

This is appropriate.

I will seek an eventual NSW overturning of our regulatory prohibition. I want an ISO standard study to seek reason as to why or why not.

Certainly the 9 demerit points we issue for those caught with them AND the $1K plus monetry penalty should be reduced dramatically. Again, unless we are given clear and testable evidence the devices kill, maim or aid in that.

A change of NSW govenment *might* be able to achieve this. NSW public servants will strongly oppose the move.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #19
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

well if it achievable in WA then With a LOT of persuading, we should be able to get it introduced in VIC, and hopefully counter the idea of "victoria, the camera state".
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351xafairmont
can u get me a price on one nang3 ?
i was looking at a bel rx65
hey mate,

sorry about the loooooooong delay !!!

spoke to the guy, he reckons the only diff between the RX65 and 945/995 is that the RXC is marketed more as an international detector - they both pick up the same freq/bands here in Aust and have the same range and probably even the same circuitry..

he said he can do the Bel Vector 945 for $300 and 995's for $450.. pretty much the only difference between the 2 is the ability to turn off the X band on the 995
Old 17-11-2005, 12:49 AM   #21
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy
well if it achievable in WA then With a LOT of persuading, we should be able to get it introduced in VIC, and hopefully counter the idea of "victoria, the camera state".
good luck. once a government get a sniff of revenue (speed cameras in this case), they will not let it go. detectors will only reduce the amount of money they make and no government likes that.

i also tried the 'reflective' number plate spray (legal in WA) and that doesnt work. dont waste your money.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #22
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy
Not a chance in hell of that happening in Victoria, certainly under Labour, and I'd doubt the better intentions of that states LIB's candidates would be enough to overcome the existing cosy relationship between VIC Roads safety and licensing policy people, and teaching university academia.

The 'problem' with VIC (and to a lesser extent SA) is that it is the primary base/home of academic-restrictionists, which see their some of their efforts exported interstate or overseas in various forms, ads, that sort of thing.

Not all bad in VIC, but much needs correction. Victoria would do well to ACCEPT 'speed' as a reality, and proceed to work on that basis.